26-30

"Don't worry. Visiting your family isn't a big deal for me, okay?" Lisa reached out and held her hand. "We're married now, so of course your parents are now my parents and your family is my family. I will get along with them just fine."

Jennie didn't believe a single word he said. She didn't forget how Lisa poured a glass of wine on Kim Hye-Jun.

Kim Hye-Jun let it pass solely because it wasn't appropriate for her to flip out at their wedding. Things wouldn't go so easily when they would visit Jennie's parents the next day. She even had reason to suspect that it was Kim Hye-Jun who told Kim Soo-Hyun to make the call and tell her to come home. Probably.

Staring at Lisa's confident face, Jennie felt helpless. "Promise me you're not going to make trouble."

"Don't worry, I promise you I won't." Lisa smiled brightly. Make trouble? Of course, he wouldn't. However, if anyone was to provoke him, there was no guarantee he would keep his promise.

Jennie didn't sleep very well that night. She dreamed of her childhood. She had lived in the Kim family's mansion for as long as she remembered. In fact, Jennie had never understood why Seo Yea-Ji had let her live in Kim Mansion if she didn't want her around.

Wouldn't it have been easier to send her to an orphanage or to raise her outside of Kim Mansion? Considering the Kim family's power and wealth, they could've easily gone with either option. However, Seo Yea-Ji had raised her—an illegitimate daughter—in her own name and had given her a Kim surname.

As for Jennie's living conditions, she obviously never even thought of comparing hers with Kim Hye-Jun's. The room where she had lived was at the end of the corridor and she was allowed to have meals with Seo Yea-Ji.

There were people who took care of her everyday life, but she led a ghost-like existence in the Kim Mansion.

There were things that Jennie had never understood as a child but learned as she grew up.

When she was five years old, she liked one of Kim Hye-Jun's dolls. Kim Hye-Jun had many dolls similar to this one, but Jennie had none. The doll that she had liked was Kim Hye-Jun's favourite doll at the time. It was a very pretty, little pink princess.

The princess was always in Kim Hye-Jun's hands. Although Jennie really wanted to play with her doll, she didn't dare to express it out loud. Kim Hye-Jun had a lot of toys and even though she liked this one at the time, it was just temporary entertainment.

Very soon, she rejected the little princess doll. Kim Hye-Jun asked the butler, Nanny Zhang, to throw it away. At that time, Nanny Zhang was busy talking to someone and she threw the doll on the edge of the sofa in the living room.

Jennie happened to see that right as she was passing by. No one was around and the doll was carelessly thrown in the corner.

She was only five years old and seeing the doll made her extremely happy. So she picked it and took it to her room. Jennie was overjoyed, for it was her first ever doll and it didn't matter that it was thrown away by Kim Hye-Jun. That's when she noticed that the doll's clothes were torn. That must've been why Kim Hye-Jun threw it away.

Jennie didn't mind that and carefully stitched it up. She poked some of her fingers with a needle in the process.

That night, she was very happy and slept for a whole night with the doll in her arms. Since she thought that Kim Hye-Jun wouldn't want the doll back, she didn't even think of hiding it.

For a whole month, she had played with the doll every day and had slept with it every night. Then one day, Kim Hye-Jun found the doll. She claimed that the doll was hers. Jennie argued that she picked it up after Kim Hye-Jun threw it away.