151-155

“I said, sleep.”

“No.” Lisa seemed determined to make her say it. “If you don’t say it, we’ll do something else, something that will impress you so much that you won’t be able to forget it.”

“Lisa.”

“Will you miss me? Say it. Yes or no?”

“Yes, I will. I’ll miss you, okay? Get off me.”

“Sweetheart.” He came over to her and kissed her on the lips. “I will miss you, too. I will miss you so much,” he said.

“Alright. Now, sleep.”

“Sweetheart, I’m telling you, you must be careful out there. Don’t get too tired.”

“I know.”

“You should also stay away from men with bad intentions, especially the male doctors at your hospital.”

“Lisa, what are you talking about?”

“Okay, I’ll stop. You just have to keep my advice in mind and you must not go to dangerous places.”

“Lisa.” Jennie thought that he kept getting more and more ridiculous, so she pushed away his hands and turned over to sleep. “I’m going to the countryside with a medical team to participate in a free clinic. Where do you think I am going to start brawling with someone?”

“I’m just worried about you.” Lisa put his arm around her again and said, “You are so stupid that I just fear for you—”

“I’m stupid?” Jennie could not listen to him any longer. “Who are you calling stupid?”

She had been a top student in her medical school. Why was it that he treated her like a moron?

“No, I am. I am stupid.” Lisa stopped and said, “Sweetheart, remember to video chat me every day.”

“Lisa, do you want me to get sleep or not?”

“Yes, yes. I’ll go to sleep right away—”

Lisa rubbed his face against her neck and whispered another question before Jennie closed her eyes to sleep. “Well, that Mino. I mean, he is not going with you, is he?”

Jennie closed her eyes and covered her ears, completely unwilling to listen to him.

...

The bus for the medical team left at seven in the morning and the team was supposed to gather in the parking lot at the gate of the hospital. There were twenty people on the team, including both doctors and nurses.

Lisa bought breakfast very early in the morning and, when Jennie got up to catch a taxi to the hospital, he had been up and ready. He took her luggage outside and said, “Sweetheart, let me drive you there.”

“Why did you get up so early?”

Lisa was used to getting up early, but this was a little earlier than he was used to, judging by the breakfast he’d prepared.

“My wife is leaving; of course, I must see her off.”

Jennie was touched. Looking at Lisa from her heart for the first time, she opened her mouth and said, “Thank you, Lisa.”

“Sweetheart, you are my wife. Don’t thank me.”

After breakfast, Jennie and Lisa got in the car together. By the time they got to the parking lot, nearly half the people had arrived.

When Lisa opened the trunk, Jennie found that, in addition to the luggage, Lisa had bought her some snacks, water, and fruit.

“Sweetheart, take these to eat on the road.”