316-320

“Let’s go.” Lisa stopped moving as he spoke and took off his suit jacket. He then put it on Jennie.

Before leaving, Lisa and Jennie went to Old Master Seo to inform him of their departure.

After getting into the car, Lisa switched on the air-conditioning and adjusted the temperature to make it warmer. “Are you cold?”

“No, I’m not cold.”

Lisa nodded and dropped a casual remark. “Your younger brother is a pretty good person.”

“Jiwon?” Jennie’s mind went blank for a moment before she nodded. “Yes, Jiwon is pretty nice.”

I don’t think he knows what happened at the banquet? He can’t know, can he?

Lisa fixed his eyes on the road ahead as he pondered Jiwon’s character. Kim Soo-Hyun must have a good strategy for raising his children. Even though Hye-Jun is mediocre, Jiwon exudes great potential to be a capable individual. He could be a worthy opponent when he grows up.

“How’s your relationship with him?”

“We get along fine.” Initially, Jennie and Jiwon’s relationship was nothing to write home about. After the previous incident, however, they had grown closer.

“That’s good.”

Jennie gazed thoughtfully at Lisa and felt that his words seemed to be insinuating at something. At that moment, however, she did not feel like pondering over them.

“In truth, I guess Jiwon is considered pitiful.”

“Pitiful? How so?”

“My father said that boys need to learn through experience and he sent Jiwon to stay in a dormitory once Jiwon was of age to attend middle school. Hye-Jun and I were only allowed to stay in a dormitory when we were attending university. Even though Jiwon was allowed to return home for weekends, my father assigned him tons of homework during summer and winter breaks.”

The homework was naturally related to the workings of the family’s businesses. It is apparent that Kim Soo-Hyun values his son, but is also extremely strict with him.

Lisa concentrated on his driving while thinking about what Jennie had said. He seemed to be deep in thought.

...

Jun Ji-hyun rose early and smiled broadly when she saw Jennie come out of her room. “Jennie, you’re awake?”

“Good morning.”

“It’s not that early anymore.” Jun Ji-hyun grinned as she walked over to hold Jennie’s hand. “Happy birthday, Jennie.”

“Thank you.”

“I’ve cooked a bowl of longevity noodles for you. Have it before you go to work.”

“Sure.” Jennie accepted the offer. She was heartened by the genuine concern reflected in Jun Ji-hyun’s eyes. “Thank you, Aunt Jun.”

“Silly child, what’s there to thank?”

The two women walked to the dining room together and Jun Ji-hyun brought out the bowl of noodles. “After today, you will be another year older. I wish you good health and peace.”

“Thank you, Aunt Jun.”

Jennie was touched as she settled in a chair. Gazing at the steaming hot noodles, she suddenly felt a rush of emotions that evoked the urge to tear up.

On the pretext of eating the noodles, she lowered her head and blinked as she struggled to hold back her urge to cry.

“How’s the flavor? I rolled the noodles myself. I’m not sure if you’ll be used to the taste.”