51-55

“I’m not as heartless as you are. You disappeared ever since you got married. I came here to see you.”

“Is there anything that you need to say to me?”

“Of course there is,” Irene patted on her shoulder and said, “As a single lady, I think I need to come here to show my concern and love to you, a married woman, and see how you are doing.”

“Piss off,” Jennie gave her a gentle elbow shove and said, “Don’t you call me ‘married woman’.”

“You are a married woman.” Irene and Jennie chatted and laughed. Then, they looked at the time and found it was about the hour to get off work.

“Let’s have dinner together.”

“Alright,” Jennie didn’t say no.

Before she got married, she and Irene would always have dinner together. Irene sometimes even stayed at her place for the night.

“Let’s go.”

They walked out together. Irene brought her car. On her way to her car, she suddenly paused.

“Wait.”

“What’s wrong?”

Jennie saw her stare at a man ahead of her. Before Jennie could react, Irene rushed up toward the tall, strong man.

“Dear Brother?”

The man turned around and looked at her. “Who? Me?”

“Dear Brother! You’re Dear Brother, aren’t you?”

“Miss, I think you confused me with someone else.”

Having said those words to her, the man left without looking back. Irene attempted to follow, but Jennie held her hand and stopped her.

“Joohyun, what’s wrong?”

“He is my Dear Brother! He’s Dear Brother.”

While speaking, Irene freed herself from Jennie’s grip and attempted to follow the man. Jennie tightened her hold and said to her, “Are you sure? Maybe you got it wrong.”

“I didn’t. I...”

“You haven’t seen this Dear Brother of yours for over ten years, right? Perhaps you got it wrong.”

Irene froze, gazing straight ahead. Her pretty face wore a confused look.

“Yeah, we haven’t seen each other in over ten years. I might be wrong.”

Even if the man was her Dear Brother, he didn’t recognize her anymore.

“Joohyun?”

Jennie was a little worried about her. Many others did not know about her story, but Jennie knew.

Irene accidentally strayed away from her family when she was twelve. Dear Brother saved her. The two of them lived a homeless life together for a whole year. Later on, they met some bad people. She got stabbed and then fell into unconsciousness. When she woke up, she was already home.

After waking up, she kept telling everyone that she needed to find Dear Brother. However, no one could tell her a word about his whereabouts. The police even told her that the boy she described never existed.

She refused to believe that and kept asking the police and her parents to find Dear Brother for her.

Nevertheless, all those people thought it was only a story that the girl made up.

Irene never gave up. All these years, she had been looking for Dear Brother.

She believed that what happened to her in that year was true and that Dear Brother was a real person. He kept her company during that year.