The Monkshood

I woke up to find Mizuki hiding underneath my blankets. I reached over and turned on the lamp which was right beside my bed. It was only 3:00 in the morning. I was surprised to find him suddenly in my room after we both said good-night to each other about 8 hours ago. 

"Mizuki ?", I mumbled as I sat up, half asleep, "What're you doing in my room....?" He sat up slowly, a really scared look on his face. And then he lunged forward and stuck to me like glue. He wasn't crying or anything, but it was like he had seen something he wasn't supposed to.

 "There... there was something knocking on the window", he said softly, "The sound gradually got louder and louder, until it was like the glass would break." I immediately woke up and narrowed my eyes. "Knocking ?", I asked. He nodded and moved closer to me. "It was like that for a long time", he mumbled, "I was scared. I didn't know what to do, Yon I was just laying there, hoping that whatever it was that it would go away." I felt him trembling. I pulled him in for a hug and covered him with my blanket. Patting his head, I told him it was going to be alright. 

You see, there was a reason to why I had those beads placed up along the windows and doors. This was one of them. I continued to pat Mizuki's head until he eventually fell asleep on me. I moved him and placed him right beside me. I covered him with my blanket and sighed. On his sleeping face, bags. 'So he's been awake ever since.' I turned off my lamp and turned on a night light. Laying down on the bed beside him, I held onto Mizuki's hand. They were cold. I inched closer to him and closed my eyes. 'Whatever that was', I asked myself, 'What was its purpose.'

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 It wasn't until 10 o'clock that I woke up again to find Mizuki still sleeping beside me. My room was already filled with the faint rays of sunlight which ran through the spaces of my blinds. I rolled over to my back and laid there, staring at the white ceiling above us both. The recollect of last night slowly appeared in my head. I sighed and covered my eyes with my arm. What a drag this would turn out to be. 

 "Mmmm....." I turned to my side and stared at Mizuki. He was still asleep and slightly moved around. This boy. I quietly got up and left my room, now heading downstairs. Just like my room, sunlight was seeping through the curtains. I opened up the blinds and curtains. Taking a deep breath, I walked through the house. The last place that I went to was Mizuki's room. I opened the door and found nothing. Just silence. Emptiness. I narrowed my eyes and stared at the windows. I walked towards the window and opened up the blinds. Nothing. Just sunlight and an empty balcony. I did notice something though. On that supposed-to-be-empty balcony was a single flower. A Monkshood. I opened up the balcony sliding door and walked outside to pick it up. The flower itself meaning "Beware". I looked around and took a deep breath. I stared at it and picked it up.

'A Monkshood...?'

With the flower at my hand, I took it along with me and decided to place it in an area where I would remember to get to it. Walking back inside, I left the glass sliding door open but kept the screen door locked. This room needed fresh air. Especially after all that trouble that happened yesterday. Once I was done going around, I walked back to my room where Mizuki was.

Quietly closing the door behind me, I walked into my room and took a seat by my desk. It was now 11:21. I put the flower in an empty vase with some water. I rummaged through the drawers of the desk and found a binder full of binder paper. I picked up a pen from the pencil/pen holder and began to write some things down. 

I paused and put the pen down. Walking over to my balcony, I opened up the curtains. In sight, there was nothing but the usual items on the balcony. What else was I missing. I took a seat in my chair again and spun around. In my head, there was an uneasy feeling poking at me. I had a clue to what it was, however, if I wanted to make certain of it, I'd need to go out. I looked over to Mizuki. But then that would mean having to leave him alone again. For some reason, I didn't want that. So I waited until he woke up to move. I also wanted to ask the impossible and bothersome Shuichi about something as well. I wanted to ask him if he had noticed something. I mean, if I were able to, then he should have been able to as well.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 Eventually, Mizuki woke up around 12 something. I heard him walking downstairs with my blanket wrapped around him. "Oh, you're awake now ?", I asked him as he made his way towards the living room where I was laying around. He nodded and laid down on the other couch. He yawned and made himself comfortable. When it was like this, he definitely was a kid at appearance. 

"Why'd you just leave me", he whined, "Don't you know how petrified I was ?" I leaned on my back. "I didn't leave you", I replied, "If I had then you'd be alone at this very moment." He yawned and looked at the T.V., probably wondering about what was on. "Nee", I mumbled, "Last night, what time did that thing happen ?" He didn't even look at me. Instead he looked at the ceiling and thought about it. "Around 2:50", he replied, "I woke up to the sound of something trying to get in. Eventually, there was the sound of pounding on the glass to where I thought it was going to break." He paused. "I thought that if I just ignored it, whatever it was would leave, but it didn't. That was when I left my room and went into yours. I was so lost..." I lazily sat up and sighed. 'But I didn't feel anything'. "You still a little shaken up ?", I asked him. He slowly shook his head. "Kinda", he muttered. "No, not really." I stood up and walked over to the kitchen where I poured two glasses of water then headed back into the living room. "Here", I told him, placing his glass on the coffee table. I watched him sit up and drink. In the process, I began thinking of reasons. 

 But why go to Mizuki instead ? Why was it not me, and him instead ? And also, that Monkshood. Whatever placed it there definitely wanted me to notice that something was bound to occur. But I still don't understand. Why was it Mizuki. A few days ago, Ciel made an appearance then suddenly disappeared again. On the same day, we were also with Shuichi. The next day, there was that faint aura following behind Mizuki and I. And then this morning, that incident and that flower.I paused. I wonder if Shuichi noticed something. It's true that there's no much of a difference between us, but out of the both of us, he was more alert. I needed to ask him.