Dreamless Nights

I've been there before. They have too.

Like before, I was brought to another room. This time I was led by Eion, who nonchalantly had me follow after him with chains on my wrists. "Can't have you escaping now", he was saying earlier before,  "I know you're a smart girl. You're not worth underestimating at all." 

It's been about two weeks after what happened with Xeila. Since then, I still haven't seen her around. In a way, it was the same with Luurè. Lately, the only person I have been seeing around is Arlyin and Eion. I wondered if the others left the base.

"So where are we going ?", I eventually asked him, "We've been walking for a while now." Eion looked over his shoulder and grinned. "I'm taking you outside to breath", he replied, "But just a heads up, I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. I'm only doing this because I was asked to." "Basically an outdoor prison then ?", I suggested as I tilted my head to the side. "Basically", he replied. "From what I'm aware of, you're still recovering from your fight with Xeila. Two weeks have gone by, but you still seem a bit flimsy." Eion sighed as we both stopped in front of a door. He reached for the door knob and turned it, soon revealing an open area. "Humans are so delicate", he added in a dull, bland tone, "It's such a pain to deal with, even if you are a decoy." I followed after him and glanced around. 

"Surprised ?", I heard him ask behind me. I turned around to see that he had closed the door behind him and was now walking over to me. "Somewhat", I mumbled. "But I understand what you meant by, 'don't get excited'. This place is covered in a barrier, moreover, cameras." "Bingo", Eion replied enthusiastically. "If you try to escape, an alarm will go off. Also, at the moment, you're being tagged. Here, I'll show you." Eion reached into his pocket and pulled a monitor-like thing out. I stared at it suspiciously. I was about to ask him what it was for when a sharp pain suddenly began to come from my left arm. I winced and quickly placed my right hand over the pain. So this is ? Within a few seconds later, the pain subsided. I assumed that he turned off the switch or something. Eion grinned at me. "See ?", he asked optimistically. "If you try to leave, you'll feel that." I grimaced and looked over my arm. On the upper portion of it, where the pain had been, was a intricate black design. "So that was the purpose of this mark then huh ?", I asked him, "I knew there had to be a catch. Who's barrier is this ?" Eion stared at me in disbelief. "Who else ?", he sighed, "It was me." 

"But why would I bother running away ?", I asked him, "I already know that I can't." Eion sighed. "Even so Decoy", he replied, "You're still not worth underestimating." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually, Eion left me. I was left to wander around on my own. And although it was nice to be out of my room, I was left with an even more unreasonable feeling. Unsettling, more like. I stared out into the area in front of me and frowned. "And I'm supposed to..?" I took a deep breath and sighed in dismay. "Just what am I supposed to do now ?", I asked out loud. "I think I liked it better in my room.." "Really ?", a voice chuckled behind me. I quickly turned around to see Arylin suddenly standing there. "What're you doing here !?", I exclaimed, relieved to see her. "What ?", she asked, sounding as if she sounded hurt, "Am I not allowed to be ?" "Never mind that !", I snapped, "I'm just relieved to see you." Arlyin sighed. "Well enjoy it while it lasts", she mumbled, slowly moving closer to me. "Because I hear that this is where your next test will take place." When she moved back I frowned. That did make sense.

Hmm.. I wonder what they'll be testing you on this time, I heard Kana ask. She sounded amused. I wondered why. Maybe on surroundings ?, she suggested. Why else would they want to take you out to a place like this ? I doubt that it was just for breathing.

"Anyhow", Arlyin said, pulling me away from my thoughts, "I thought I'd stop by and check on you before your second test began. It'd be such a shame if you died." I scowled at her. "But in reality, it's not like you're expecting anything from me either", I hissed. "You're probably thinking that I'll really die this time." Arlyin grinned before turning away. "Perhaps", she called out as she raised an arm and began to walk away. "Please do well little bird. If you die, it'll be quite troublesome for me. Having a human here makes things much more... interesting." There was an emphasis in her tone. Also, that momentary pause. When Arlyin was finally out of sight, I began to walk around. It wouldn't help me to stay in one place. Since I didn't know what to expect, I thought that it'd be easier to move around and to not stay in one spot.

Is it necessary to feign your weakened state in this situation as well ?, Kana asked in a dull tone. I shook my head. Yes and no, I thought slowly, this is a different situation..there'll be more things in the way so we don't have to hold back. But at the same time, we have to be sure to not give ourselves away too much. Kana chuckled. I guess that's good enough, she mumbled. For now at least. I have a feeling they're going to have Ryou in this, this time. He's quite a skilled person, if I recall. I glanced around as a breeze blew by, causing the branches of the trees around me to rustle along with it. Just as long as I don't die, I replied. I could imagine her smirk. But of course, she said in a mischievous manner. If you die, then I die with you. Clearly, that's not preferred. I grinned and kept walking. But of course, I thought.

To my dismay, nothing happened until about 25 minutes in of wandering around. It turns out that it really was a test, but it was more like seeing a checkpoint of some sort before it started. After that, all the troublesome things happened again. I was being followed by at least 5 people, all of which who weren't even people from the council. I assumed that they were pawns.. probably spies even ?  Either way, I had to deal with them. They were all Rank A demons, which made things somewhat difficult for me. Think about it, pretending to be a weak, normal human for once while being hunted down by Rank A demons.

I had two options. One was that I stopped and fought back. The other, I would keep running. As usual, my choices were being limited. Oh well.