Existing Chains

[... something is beginning to shatter. It's very faint but...]

I frowned, still thinking about his words. And for some reason, he only said this to me when were were alone in that room together. "You're the guardian, aren't you ?", he had said. "You can't hide it."

After moving about to observe the fountain, I found myself standing on the roof of the hotel that I had been staying at. No matter where I turned, I overlooked the city and all its glowing lights. And in the skies, stars, but no moon. I turned to the direction of the fountain and saw the usual line of hunters wandering around. Since that disruption, I haven't seen any of them around. I wonder if any of them noticed that barrier Azalin had placed on them. I wondered if they noticed that something wasn't right. I placed a hand over my bandaged wound and continued to look out into the city.

It looks like we can't turn back anymore.

Shiori-chan... Shiori-chan... 

I slowly turned around to see nothing. I slightly narrowed my gaze. Just then, I thought I heard a voice. Where did it.. Sighing, I turned away and placed a hand on my head. Jeez, I'm going crazy.

"Shiori-chan... Shiori..." 

Again, I turned around. And like before, I was alone.

"Nande ?", I asked out loud, "Who is there ?" 

Behind you... Someone is behind you..!

....!? 

I turned around just as something hit me from behind. I was able to prevent myself from crashing into some of the things on the roof, but I wasn't able to avoid getting hit. I glanced down at my side, hoping that my wound from before didn't open. But the sharp pain that I was feeling told me otherwise. Damn. I looked up at the person that was now standing not that far away from me. I didn't recognize who it was. A girl with silver colored hair and a white dress. I couldn't see her eyes from this angle. "Tell me", she said, her voice sounding desolate and empty. "Are you supposed to be that person ?" I slowly pushed myself up and frowned at this girl, whoever she was. "I don't know", I replied suspiciously, "You tell me whether it involves you to know or not." She shifted her position and raised something in her hand. I couldn't see it. All I saw was a faint gleam before she quickly moved towards me. I tried my best to keep away from her. I didn't know what she was using.

"Who are you and what're you trying to do !", I shouted, trying to see her movement in the dark. "It matters not", she replied, "I just need you to come with me." I stopped to shift my position and then kicked upwards at her hand. To my luck, she caught on too slowly. Whatever she had been holding was throw into the air. I took the chance to elbow her in the stomach and then hit her in the back of the neck when she was down. I went over to some of the things on the roof and used that to help me catch what she had been using. When I finally caught it, I glanced over at her. "There's no way a person will come with you after you try killing them you know ?" I frowned. Just who in the world was this girl and what did she want from me ?

"I see that you've managed to knock her out so easily Guardian-san."

I looked over my shoulder to see Juuji suddenly standing there. To my surprise, he was free. In the end, he had easily managed to escape.  The smile on his face when he saw me was too gentle to be genuine. Especially since it was from him. "How did you manage to get out ?", I asked softly. "Oh please, you act as if it were a challenge or something", he replied nonchalantly, "You were well aware of how easy it was to escape from them." "But even so, how did you find me and why are you here ?" Juuji walked over to me and circled around me before gently wrapping his arms around my shoulders. "Don't be so modest darling", he said mischievously, "You know why I'm here." I blankly stared out into the darkened area in front of me. "But in truth, I don't", I replied. "So tell me before I throw you over my shoulder." "Jeez, there's no need to be so forceful..." I shivered. "Jeez !", I snapped, pushing myself away from Juuji's hands, "Why're you suddenly so close to me !?" Juuji laughed in response. "What an interesting human", he said with a smirk.

"What a creep", I mumbled quietly. I could feel chills coming up from my back. "Ughhhh...." I looked past Juuji and to the girl that I had knocked out. She slowly pushed herself up and looked around. "...What happen..?", she asked herself as she placed a hand on the back of her neck. When she looked up and saw us standing there, her eyes widened. "AH !", she shouted, immediately pointing toward me, "IT'S YOU !!" I feigned a smile. "Uh, yes ?", I asked, "Can I help you ?" An amused smile appeared on Juuji's face. Though, he didn't laugh. "Juuji ! Why're you just standing there !", she shouted, "Get her before she escapes !" I turned to him, who shrugged. "She won't", he replied with a faint grin. "As long as I'm at the place, she won't leave." He was taunting me. And as bad as it sounds, what he was saying was true. As long as he was within reach, I wouldn't escape. I wouldn't leave. I raised my hand and threw back what I had taken from the girl. It slid to her and stopped at her side. "Surprises don't work on me", I said to her, "The next time we might, I might actually do worse."

After that, I left. I intended to go back to where Azalin and Sara were but I decided to stop by my house to get something. Since the barrier around Juuji's room wasn't that strong enough to keep him in, I decided that using some of the beads that protected the house would work. When I arrived, I was slightly reluctant to open the door. In the end, I managed to and was quickly hit with nostalgia. It was as if it had been forever since the last time I had stepped into the house. I walked through the house and found the place when I hid the beads. I took some and then remembered something. I walked up to my room and turned on my lights. There, on my desk, was my pendant. For some odd reason, I had forgotten it and had forgotten to come back for it. But since I was here, the timing was perfect.

By the time I came back, Azalin was there. "Ah, you've returned", she said when she saw me. I nodded my head. "You have as well ?", I asked. She shook her head. "I've only come to check on Juuji", she replied with a faint smile. "I see", I mumbled. "Jah, will you be heading back now ?" Azalin nodded. "Sara and I will be coming back in a while", she said, "Until then, please watch over this place." I nodded in response as she moved towards the door. "Yeah", I replied. "I will."