Behind Our Glass Wall

"It went over there ! Quick ! Cut it off before it disappears again !"

And just like that, Shuichi and Ciel were off. I watched as the both of them disappeared into Kaede Park. Behind them, Botan and I. The both of us trailed after them, trying to catch up. It was already 3 o'clock in the morning yet this "chase" was still going on. I was growing tired and Ciel was getting irritated. "This way !", I heard Botan call out as she took a sharp turn into the park. I intended to stay with her, but along the way, we got separated. I don't know how, but it happened. Eventually, I stopped running when I neared the marble fountain that was placed in the very center of the park. When I was finally able to see the fountain, I was slightly taken by surprise. Standing there beside the fountain, was a figure that gazed up into the morning sky. I narrowed my gaze and stared at whoever it was. I wasn't able to see much, but this person had long ash colored hair and was about the same height as Shuichi... I frowned. This person was turned away from me but for some reason, it felt like I've met that person before. I would've investigated but I was feeling a bit.. reluctant. Because of that, I decided to move back and continue to move along in hopes of finding either Botan, Ciel, or Shuichi. At the moment, I was feeling a bit more distracted than I usually was.

By the time I found them, they were all gathered by the very same fountain that I had seen that person standing by. Only this time, that person from before wasn't there. Just them. I wondered about how long they've been there. They all looked so distraught and distracted. After a while of just staring at them from the shadows, I decided to approach them. Botan was the only one who seemed to look up at me with a sympathetic smile on her face. Shuichi and Ciel kept looking at one specific area near the fountain. That area in particular was the place where I had seen that person standing. The person with the long ash colored hair. I hesitated to ask about what had happened after we separated but I eventually managed to. The silence alone was a difficult thing to break at a time like this. The air around us felt heavy. I wished for another morning breeze.

"So tell me", I said with a soft voice, "What happened ?" Shuichi sighed and ran his hand through his scarlet colored hair. He didn't seem to be like his usual, collected self. Ciel turned to me, slightly agitated. "That shadow", she said, pointing towards the path that they had gone through, "Moved over here. For a second, it was like it was waiting for us. And when we approached, it vanished in this spot.." She sighed in dismay and went over to Botan. I glanced at the fountain that was behind us and tried to imitate the person that I had seen from a while back. 'From this angle.. that person was staring up at the sky and was looking up towards..' 

['Have they found out yet ?']

For a moment, I was aimlessly watching the fountain. There had been a voice, almost like a whisper. I blinked a few times, trying to determine if it had been real. "Nee Klutz, what're you doing ?" I slowly turned my attention towards Shuichi, who was suddenly looking my way. I tilted my head, somewhat confused. "Did you.. hear that just now ?", I asked him. He looked at me as if I were playing a joke on him. "Hear what ?", he asked back. I placed my hand in the pocket of my jacket and shook my head. Trying to clear it all up, I glanced at him and smiled. "No", I replied slowly. "Never mind."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That day, I really wasn't able to get any sleep. By the time we headed back home, it was already around 4:30 in the morning. Classes began around 7:30. So that morning, as I tried to go to sleep, the only thing that I was reminded of was that voice and that person. Somehow, it wouldn't leave my mind, like it was something that I had to acknowledge. Even so, the puzzle was still unsolved. I planned to tell Ciel about it later, but decided that I'd tell her late. At the moment, I had to ask her about something else. I needed to ask her if she was familiar with a person with ash colored hair. If I felt somewhat familiar to that person, then surely, Ciel would've been too.

During lunch break, Wakahisa stopped by our classroom. The first thing she said to me was, "Why does it look like you barely woke up ?" I cover my mouth and yawned, slightly tearing up. At the moment, I was alone. Shuichi went somewhere and Ciel had to go to the teachers lounge for something. "Problem ?", I had asked her. She placed her hands on her hips and shook her head. "That's one way to get sick again Senpai", she informed, "But that's not what I came for." I rested my head on my arms and looked up at her. "Oh ?", I mumbled with a faint grin, "Since when aren't you here with me ? Ever since I came back, you've been hanging around with us." I yawned again and turned away so that no one was able to see my face. I closed my eyes, feeling a bit drowsy. "Not that we mind anymore", I added in softly. "Senpai this isn't the time to take a nap ! Get up ! Someone's confessing to Minamino-sama !!" I didn't move. "And I should be concerned because..?" I felt a tug on my arm as she attempted to get me up. "Because !", she snapped, "Do you know how awkward that'll be if Minamino-sama decides to go out with someone else ? I won't be able to mess around anymore !" I reluctantly looked up at her, somewhat indifferent to what she had just said. "So am I just a way to kill time then ?", I asked. She nodded her head. "Of course !" I frowned. "At least sound disappointed will you ?", I said, slowly getting up from my desk, "That hurts you know." Wakahisa stuck her tongue out at me before dragging me off again. It seemed to be like a usual routine for her to drag me off. "Whatever you say", she said, "Just hurry up."

A few moments later we arrived. Shuichi was already standing there with a girl. I assumed that she was a first year since I didn't recognized her at all. We were hiding in the bushes, watching everything slowly unravel. Well, at least Wakahisa was. I was trying not to fall asleep. "Tell me why we're hiding here again ?", I whispered to her. "Shhh", she hissed, "Or else we'll be caught !" I looked in the direction that she was looking at. "But seriously, why hide in the bushes ? Don't you know that this is where the main protagonist and her friend always hide in order to spy on her crush or something in a shoujo manga ?" Wakahisa glared me, telling to me shut up. I shook my head in dismay and looked around for something else to entertain me. 'Jeez, didn't she know how bad it would've been if someone else caught us sneaking around here ? Doesn't she know how bad that'd be ?'

"Th-thank you for coming out here today Minamino-san. I really appreciate it."

In order to avoid cringing, I decided to keep my gaze on the flowerbed that was nearby. Not that it helped. The thought of eavesdropping didn't sound too good to me. I wanted to knock Wakahisa out for this. This feeling was 100 times worse than being placed together with Shuichi. 

"Y- you see Minamino-san", she said very slowly. "I called you out here today because I wanted to tell you that I've.. been in love with you ever since the first time I've seen you."