Even With Promises...

Could it be that RE is supposed to stand for... that project she always spoke of ? The one that was supposed to happen before the incident with the Makai Council ?

"I'm surprised that even after all this time, you still remember where this spot is." A soothing smile appeared on her face as she looked at me from where she stood. "It's been a while." I smiled back in relief. "It look's like you haven't forgotten me", I replied as I walked towards her, "That's reassuring." She chuckled and held her hand out towards me. I reached for it as she pulled me in for a hug. "No matter how much time moves", she said softly, "I'll never forget." The both of us pulled away form each other and grinned at each other. I watched her stand up and straighten up her clothes. "Now", she said, her voice becoming more focused, "The thing that you've come for.. What is it ?" "Leave it to you to ask such questions." She chuckled softly. "Naturally", she replied. "The thing that I wanted to ask you", I began to say slowly. "It involves some of the members of the Makai Council." That smile of hers didn't fade. Even at such serious times, it was like her to stay clam and collected. Maybe that's why Ciel was afraid of her when she got angry. Out of the three of us, she was the most frightening when deceived.

"I actually have a small request", I said as I reached into the pocket of Shuichi's jacket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. I held it out in front of her as she took it from me. "What's this ?", she asked me as she glanced over it. "The request", I replied with a smile, "In a few days or so, Ciel plans to leave Makai and return to the Human World. I'm afraid that I won't be joining her." "Because of ?", she asked. "A promise I made to someone", I replied. "You'll understand when you read over that." She grinned and put it away. "You haven't changed", she said as she slightly moved closer to me and patted my head. "Still as observant as usual, I take it ?" I grinned, slightly titling my head to the side. "Just like you", I replied. She chuckled and looked up at the moon with weary eyes. "I guess you can say that...", she mumbled softly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I approached the place that we were all currently staying at, I noticed that the lights in the room that I was staying in were on. That only meant one thing. Either someone robbed me or that he was awake. I could feel my heart sink as I thought it. I glanced down at Shuichi's jacket and sighed. If the lights were on then, then surely, it was him. Every single step I took towards the room, the reluctance grew.

Welp, it looks like there's only one way to find out.

I gingerly reached for the doorknob and turned it as quietly as I could. To my luck it didn't squeak. However... when I entered the room, the lights were on. No one was in sight. I turned around and slowly closed the door. I sighed in relief when everything went accordingly. Well at least almost everything did. I almost had a heart attack when I turned around to see Shuichi suddenly standing there behind me. He was scowling at me, his emerald eyes narrowed in suspicion. I covered my face with my hands and took a deep breath. I began to grin because of how much of an idiot I thought I was. Jeez, good thing I didn't scream.

"Oi", I heard him say sternly, "Where did you go at a time like this ?" I peered through my fingers and stared at him. "Who me ?", I mumbled innocently, "I just went out for a short stroll.." The look of suspicion didn't fade. I knew he wasn't going to believe me. "At 2:45 in the morning ?", he asked in a calculating tone, "In Makai ?" His gaze hardened as he stared at me. I gulped, wondering if I should keep up my facade of lies. Those emerald eyes of his were sharp. I eventually gave up and sighed in defeat. I walked over to him and hugged him around the waist, burying my face in his chest. It smelled of fresh roses, like usual. "Just trust me", I mumbled as I closed my eyes, "I didn't kill anyone." I could feel his arms wrap around my back. "Idiot", he mumbled in a scolding manner, "Those words are easier said than done. What're you trying to do ?" I slowly pulled away from him and stared at his indifferent expression. 

"Shuichi", I said sternly. "Nani ?", he asked in return. I paused, carefully thinking about how I would use my words. "If someday", I began to say slowly, "Someone that you really cared about was suddenly taken away from you, what would you do ?" There was a faint gleam in his eyes. "I would go and find them of course", he replied, "..Why do you ask ?" Our eyes locked gazes. I looked away and grinned. "Nothing really", I muttered softly, discarding the thought. Behind me, Shuichi sighed. "Anyhow", he said as I felt him grab my hand, "Go back to sleep." He turned off the lights in the living room and began to pull me back to the room.

"So", I mumbled, slightly grinning, "How'd you act when you found out I was gone ?" The door closed behind us as I was shoved towards the bed. After hitting the side, I felt around trying to identify my surroundings. I heard Shuichi move past me to the other side. I slowly got on the bed, still wearing his jacket. "You're not going to answer ?", I asked after a momentary pause. I couldn't see what Shuichi was doing beside me but I could hear him moving around. "No", was his response. "When I noticed my jacket was missing, I knew you went somewhere." He reach for my arm and pulled me closer to him, pulling along the bed sheets in the process. "What're you doing ?", I asked, suspiciously eyeing the darkness in front of me. I couldn't see him but he was there. "Making sure you can't leave again", he mumbled with a faint sigh. He positioned us to where I really couldn't get up without waking him. His arm was strategically placed around my waist. I sighed and closed my eyes, slightly tilting my head. "Jeez", I whispered, "You're just like an octopus. You're so clingy." "Shut up klutz", he mumbled tiredly, "Or else I'll strangle you in your sleep." I chuckled and took a deep breath. "Right", I mumbled. He sighed. 

"Nee Shuichi ?", I called out, opening my eyes. "Nande ?", he asked. I grinned in amusement. "Nothing", I replied softly. I could feel him open his eyes. "Why are you saying my name ?", he asked. "Because I just felt like it", I replied. Shuichi sat up beside me and looked down at me. I could faintly see the outline of his shadow looming over me. I smiled at him. After a while, he turned away. I guess he was getting tired of me because he faced the other way. I moved closer to him and hugged him from behind. He didn't move. "I thought that you said you were going to make sure that I wouldn't leave again ?", I asked, amused. No reply. I buried my face into his back and sighed. Once again, I closed my eyes. This time, I was slowly beginning to drift off. Tonight was cold, but by being beside him, it was warm. It was a strange feeling.

 "Oyasumi nasai."