Tales of the Past

I made no promise to go back to that home. If I return, then there will only be complications. I'd rather do this all alone, like I have always been. Why must I concern myself with them ?

That promise, I'm reminded. My promise to her.

After sealing away the Old Ruins that night, I decided that it would be best that I kept a good distance away from those that Shiori cared for so deeply. I would watch them from afar, rather than being so close to them. Besides, it wasn't as if they intended to befriend someone like me. Just the thought of it alone made me laugh. When I disappeared from Makai those many years ago, I thought that perhaps they would change.. but they didn't. Luurè included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So this is where you were. I should have realized."

When I looked over my shoulder, I saw Oka standing there. "If it isn't Oka", I said with a slight smirk. "What can I help you with today ?" "You didn't come by the house", she replied with a frown. "I don't recall agreeing to go." She moved closer to me. "I mean no trouble", she said, sounding a bit saddened with my words, "But you know why I'm here. It's a bit troublesome really however it's no surprise." "Can they not figure it out themselves ?", I asked, already exhausted with the people that I was supposed to look after, "How many more hints do they need before they realize what happened ?" "Many", was the only response Oka gave me. "I assume that you'll force me to follow after you without any objections, no ?" She looked over her shoulder and smiled. "Correct", she said. I sighed in dismay and followed her through the dark. It's been about a day since Shiori's Spirit Chain shattered. There has been no improvement. I didn't want to believe in the worst. However, I did want to believe that she didn't disappear. Surely.

"And what am I to say when they see me ?", I asked as we moved closer and closer to their home. "I'll leave that to you", Oka chuckled. "You tend to move at your own pace. There's no point in forcing you to speak." I huffed. "I find it interesting to see how calm you are, despite never really meeting the Guardian of Makai before." "I'm surprised myself", she mumbled. "Now that I think about it, we've never been formally introduced." I laughed. "There's no point in one now", I replied with a smirk. "Indeed", she chuckled. 

"When did you become the Guardian of Reikai ?", I asked. "A long time ago", she replied. "I assume it's the same for Ciel ?" I noticed her nod her head. "Yes." "Does that mean that you're both the.. 5th successors to the title ?" "How did you know ?", Oka asked, the sound of surprise being reflected in her voice. "Just a guess", I mumbled. It wasn't hard to figure out. "I'm sure that Isamu and Aya died a long time ago." "Oh you mean the original line of guardians ?" "Yes", I replied with a faint smile. "The original line of guardians." 

"Were the three of you close ?" I was surprise that she asked. A cold breeze blew by us as we turned a corner. We passed by Meiou, which seemed to be up and running after the incident with that duplicate. The mention of that question made me laugh. "Were we close ?", I chuckled as I stared at the night sky. It took me back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Guardian System. Do you really think it'll be strong enough to protect the three worlds or will it just be another prototype." King Enma, who was walking around the room, glanced up at me with a slight grin. "Yes, it may be a prototype", he said as he walked over to another desk, "But that doesn't mean that it will always fail." "But if it does ?", I said, sounding doubtful with his carefree tone, "What will you do if it fails ?" I noticed him grabbing a few papers. "Then we'll just have to start from the very beginning." "Have you even selected any guardian candidates ?" King Enma skimmed through the papers that were in his hands. "I have", he replied, not bothering to look up at me. "They were selected by specific requirements. I have asked them to come here for the final selection." 

"How many of them are there ?" "There are five. Out of 57 candidates, only 5 remain." 

I sighed in dismay and leaned against a wall. "I assume that the reason why you've brought them here is to get some form of approval by me.. yes ?" A grin appeared on his face. "Yes, that's right." He looked up at me with a reassuring expression. "I was not the only one who created the Kekkai Barrier. Therefore, you have some say in the Guardian System. Besides, the only guardians we need to search for are the ones that'll be watching over the Spirit and Human World. The guardian for Makai is already set." I huffed and crossed my arms. "Even if you say that", I mumbled. "Do you doubt this system Kana ?", I was asked. I slightly nodded my head. "I'm interested to see what'll happen in the near future." "As am I."

"The Kekkai Barrier failed once. Will this one be the same ?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The both of us stopped in front of the house. Inside, I could feel their presences. They were all waiting for us to arrive. "Is there a need to hide our presence ?", I heard Oka ask as she walked in front of me. She neared the door but stopped and turned around to look at me. "Don't tell me that you, the original Guardian of Makai, is afraid of entering a home full of demons." I smirked at her. "It's not that demons", I replied, slowly walking after her. "It's the questions. Like I said before, what am I supposed to say ?" Oka sighed, but a sympathetic smile appeared on her face. "What would have Shiori done ?", she quietly asked and turned around to face the door. I slightly scowled at her. It reminded me of Isamu, her predecessor. 

Oka opened the door to their home and walked in with her signature smile. "Hello~", she sang. They all eagerly looked at her. "Oka !", one of them shouted, "You're back ! Where is.." I wanted to take the chance and leave. But it was just as Oka said. If Shiori was here, what would she have wanted. Knowing her, she would have wanted them to know. I reluctantly walked after her with a blank expression. Oka closed the door behind me. I noticed a few of them suspiciously narrow their eyes me. It was to be expected. "Is this.. her ?", Oka was asked. She nodded her head. "Yes", she replied, that smile of her slowly beginning to disappear from her face. "Not Shiori", she mumbled, "But Kana." I realized she was staring at Ciel, who was hanging around on the second floor. She was leaning against the railing, staring with a glare. 

It amused me, so I smiled. 

How will this go... I wonder.