Deja Vu

Botan looked at me with a troubled expression. "You don't want us to say anything to them ?" I shook my head and slowly set my tea cup down on the table. "For now, if it's possible", I mumbled. "There's something that's still bothering me so it doesn't seem reasonable to return just yet." Botan frowned and looked over her shoulder. "But.. those children."

The both of us glanced towards the courtyard, where Genkai and the two children were. They seemed to be talking about something interesting because of how lively the atmosphere around them was. They were enthusiastic. Even Genkai seemed to be having fun. Botan hesitantly glanced back at me. In return, I feigned a smile. 

"It's just for a moment", I said, continuing off into an explanation, "I plan to show myself eventually. Just not right now." There was a questionable look on her face. "What about those other two then ?", she asked. "Don't you think they'll say something to the others if they were to ask about you ?" I stared at the two children who were both laughing at each other. Nearby them, stood Genkai. "Oh, those kids ?", I mumbled when I realized what she meant. "I've already explain everything to them. I told them that as long as they promised not to say anything about me, then I would buy them something." Botan stared at me in disbelief. "And they believed you ?", she doubtfully asked. I nodded my head and grinned. "Of course", I replied softly, "I simply proposed it as a game. Don't you know that kids around their age love games ?" Botan slightly kicked me from underneath the table. "Oh hush !", she snapped before breaking out into a grin. "I think you're asking the wrong person. I wouldn't know." "Well I mean-"

"Nee-san !!!"

We both looked up to see Seiji's son and Kaori's sister running our way. In their hands, flowers. "Look look !", Kaori's sister exclaimed as she held up the flowers in front of me. Botan watched them with a smile. "Oooh ?", I muttered as I looked at the flowers in her hands, "Where did you get these from ?" "It's a secret !", was the automatic response. There was a content smile on her face as she went over to Botan. From the corner of my eye, I could see Seiji's son standing beside Genkai with a reluctant smile on his face. I turned to him and motioned him to come closer. His eyes seemed to light up. "And what about you hmm ?", I asked with a grin as he made his way over to me. "What kind of flowers did you get ?" He shyly held them up. I smiled and patted his head. "They're so pretty", I said as a smile slowly appeared on his face. "You're so good at picking pretty flowers.. I wish I could do that too~." "I can give you half of them if you want Nee-san." I stared at him, surprised. "Hmm ?" I watched as he split the flowers in half and handed it to me. I took them from his small hands and watched as he shyly looked at me. "I didn't get a chance to say thank you for saving us so.. I don't know if this'll be okay." I slowly began to smile and pulled him into a hug. "Awww, thank you !", I mumbled. Jeez, he was so cute.. Behind me, I could hear Kaori's sister shouting, "Hey no fair Sora ! I want to hug Nee-san toooo !" I chuckled as she approached us and entered our little warm embrace.

Genkai, who was standing beside the door, sighed in relief. Botan laughed. Afterwords, Genkai took them into the kitchen for some food. By now, it was around 11:30.

"Now that I think about it, I never got to learn their names", Botan mumbled as we walked around the shrine. "Those two ?" She nodded. "The boy's name is Sora", I said with a grin, "And the girl's name is Miwa. Sora is 6 years old and Miwa is 8." "Ahh, so they're younger than Mizuki", Botan mumbled. "Yup. Mizuki is a few years older than them." My voice trailed off as I glanced up at the cloud covered sky and frowned. "I wonder how he's doing.." Botan must've realized my change of tone because she changed the subject. "So when do you plan to come back ?", she asked in an optimistic tone. "I'm sure the others will be glad to see you.." 

"Hey Botan", I began to say, "What did Oka tell you the day she brought us back ?" "Eh ?" I stopped talking and grinned at her. "What ?", I asked. She looked at me suspiciously before slowly shaking her head. "No..", she mumbled. "Nothing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wouldn't be until about mid-afternoon that Genkai and Botan brought the children to where the others were. Before they left, Sora and Miwa gave me a hug. "See you later Nee-san", they called out as they followed after Botan. Genkai turned to me with a weary expression. "Good grief", she said with a sigh, "They're so exhausting." I laughed as she followed after them. "But refreshing, no ?" When they were completely out of my sight, I closed the door to the shrine behind me and went back into the room that I was staying in. 

There was something that I happened to notice when I was looking over my wounds. Something strange. It's been about a week since we came back from Makai but.. I didn't realize it until the 3rd day of our return. I stood in front of the mirror and rolled up the left sleeve of the jacket that I was wearing. At first glance, there was nothing, but as soon as I waved my blue hair piece around me, there was a sudden sharp pain. I glanced over to see that a familiar black design had appeared. I grimaced at the sight of it and sighed. It was Eion's barrier, the monitor that he had used when he left me alone in that open area. I was slightly surprised that it was still on me. Usually, things like this would've disappeared the moment I walked through the Old Ruins but for some reason, it stayed with me. Then again, there was always that 50% chance.

My first thought was to ignore it, but something about it made me feel a bit off. I had a feeling that it would become problematic for me later. But for now I couldn't do anything but hide it.

So then what now ?

Maybe I should go to the Main Square to clear my mind ? I didn't know why but it seemed like a reasonable place to go and ponder around until I straightened myself out. So when I finally left Genkai's shrine, that's where I headed. It should've occurred to me that I should've been careful when I was walking to the Main Square. But for some strange reason, it looked like fate already had separate plans for me. And I say this because while I was walking there, someone wasn't where they were supposed to be. In fact, he was supposed to be in school. In class.

At first, we stared at each other with blank expressions. I could feel the color of my face drain as I quickly thought of an excuse. Maybe he would overlook this and think I was someone else ?? The both of us stood there for an entire minute before I was suddenly attacked by an apple. Yes, an apple. I guess that he had it in his hand, because that guy had the nerve to throw it at my head. There was a loud 'thunk' and I immediately found myself falling back. Out of a reflex, I closed my eyes and hit the ground. When I opened my eyes, I was staring up at the clouds. And when I turned my head, there was the apple. I quickly sat up and scowled at him. 

"Jeez !", I muttered as I slightly teared up. I placed a hand on where the apple had hit me on the head and frowned, feeling a bit sad. "And I thought that you'd be happy to see me.." 

Shuichi, you're an idiot..!