Departure

"You're going to create a Guardian System ?" King Enma nodded his head in response. "If there ever comes a time where the Kekkai Barrier fails to fulfill it's purpose in separating the three worlds from each other, then they will be used as the last line of defense", he was saying with a stern expression. "There will be a total of three. One will reside here, in Reikai, another in Ningenkai, and the last, in Makai." I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned at the king. "I see your motive in trying to protect the three worlds from each other , I reluctantly replied, "But how do you possibly plan to get a guardian for Makai ? Knowing Luurè, he probably has everything on lockdown." "Easy", he said, suddenly turning to me. I took a step back. He then walked over and held his hand out towards me. I noticed something red in his hand.

"It'll be you", he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my desk, an envelope. I stared at it before walking over to the sliding glass door of my balcony. With one last glance, I reached over and turned off the lights. Afterwords, I quietly closed the glass door behind me and left. 

As I moved through the cold, refreshing night, I thought about the consequences of my choice. Surely, they'll be mad, but still... that letter will explain everything. I hope they find it in time.

In my head, I could hear her chuckling. 'I'm surprised that no one caught on to what you were doing earlier', she said. 'Especially Ciel. I had figured that maybe she knew something was up.' I slightly shook my head and forced a smile. 'Even though it managed to work, it'll fade away eventually', I replied, 'And when it does, they'll all wake up.' 'What drug did you give them ?' I thought about it as I quickly passed by the main house of the Nakanishi Base. 'It's a sleeping medicine', I said, 'I used an old method that I learned a long time ago. There's a specific herb that causes one to knock out completely if ingested. If I had used more of that herb, then they'd be asleep for a while.' Kana laughed. 'How sneaky', I heard her say quietly. 

'If they were enemies, then their lives would be in the care of your hands.'

'Naturally.'

Pretty soon, the lights of the city began to disappear as I began to head towards its outskirts. The closer that we got to the barrier, the farther we seemed to get from life. It was dark there, with only the moon as light. I was looking for "Mother". For some reason, I had a strange feeling that she would be around here somewhere. Near the barrier, in fact. Something also told me that she wouldn't be alone. I expected the children to be with her, but it seems like I was wrong the moment she appeared in front of me.

I suspiciously stared at the glass box in her hand as she greeted me with a delighted smile. "I was beginning to worry", she started to say, "I thought you were never going to show up." "I apologize for making you wait so long", I replied dryly, "But the thought of coming here was something I never wanted." Her smile didn't fade. I watched her glance at the glass box in her hands. Something inside it gleamed. "Mother" must've noticed that I was staring at it because she held it out in front of her and had the moonlight reflect on it. It was glass alright.

"Interested ?", she asked. I could slowly feel myself become restless. There was something uneasy about that question. Even Kana seemed to stir a little bit. 

"No", I eventually said. She smirked. "Oh really ?", she mumbled, placing the glass box onto the ground in front of her. "Jah, then what about this ?"

The box began to glow as she took a step back. I narrowed my gaze as I watched a white light beginning to emerge from the box. At first, I didn't know what it was supposed to be. Again, I could feel Kana stir. That was when I noticed something hazy within the light. A figure of someone who was laying down. No.. more like if they had collapsed. "Mother" watched me with an eager smile. I watched as the blurred figure in the light started to focus. Then I realized who it was. That figure. That person. I quickly turned back at her and glared. 

"What did you do !?", I shouted, slightly shifting my position. "What did you do to Wakahisa !?" "Mother" chuckled deviously and knelt down to pick up the glass box. The light faded and then completely disappeared once it was in her hands. "Out of all those useless pawns from that place", she said, "This one was the only one that really held value." I clenched my hand into a fist. "I don't understand", I called out, a hint of agitation in my voice. "What's the point of bringing in bystanders !? What did she do to you !??" "She knew you", she replied gently, as if she were talking to a clueless child, "That was enough." I huffed in disbelief. "You really don't hesitate when taking advantages now do you", I muttered bitterly. She laughed.

"How do you expect to live in a merciless world if you easily allow things to slip by ?", she said, taking a step towards me. "You've thought about it before.. haven't you ?" "Don't even bother trying to compare yourself to me", I snapped. "You and I stand on different levels." "But we're both standing on the same path", she added. "It's bloodied and full of remorse." I watched as a cruel smile appeared on her face. "Don't tell me you're trying to forget ?", she said, taking another step forward. I stared at her as she inched closer and closer. "Don't tell me you're running away ?", she whispered provokingly. As she casually stood right in front of me, I aimlessly stared at the darkness behind her.

I broke out into a grin and looked up at the clear night sky. "Run away ?", I asked, amused with her words. "Forget ?" A cold breeze blew by as strands of my hair blew along with it.

"How could I possibly forget that day ?", I mumbled softly. "I lost everything."

But this time... just this once... 

"Mother" took a step back and started to circle around me. From the corner of my eye, I could see her leaving faint traces of something. A very fine type of power. 

Kana proceeded to stir about. But she didn't say anything. 

"Return with me to Makai", she said. "We can be together again.. just like before." I watched her hold her out out towards me. I blankly stared at it before a smile slowly made it's way on my face. I slowly reached over to hold it and then stopped. She seemed a bit confused. I slightly tilted my head down and stared at the ground. "That's why", I said softly.

In my memory stands a girl surrounded by visible pools of red. Nearby, lifeless bodies. It's fresh. She glances down at her bloodied hands and reluctantly closes them into fists as she shakes. Shortly after, something falls to the ground. Something she is well aware of. 

Tears.

"I have no intention to return to a world where she should exist."