Fishing for Trouble

[...?] 

"This is what happens when you decide to hide in the bushes Wakahisa. Tsk tsk."

"It's not my fault ! How was I supposed to know that a soccer ball was coming out way !?"

"Besides that, why were you both even there to begin with..?"

"Hahaha...Well you see Minamino-san, we were..."

I slowly opened my eyes to see a familiar white ceiling. Due to the unexplainable throbbing pain in my head, I groaned. "Shhhhuuuuuuuuutttttt uuuuuupppppp", I called out sluggishly, pulling the blanket cover over my head. "You're so noisy..." Someone moved over to the side of my bed but I didn't bother to identify who it was. My face was covered by the bed sheet. "Oh, she's awake", that person said. Their tone was flat. Someone sighed. I slowly removed the bed sheet away from my face and sat up. I placed a hand on the side of my head where it hurt. "So tell me", I asked slowly, "..Tell me about that soccer ball I've been hearing about." Ciel and Shuichi exchanged glances before they both broke out into a laugh. I narrowed my gaze at Wakahisa and smiled. "Well ?", I asked again, slightly tilting my head. She reluctantly took a step back. "You know, that smile of yours is really scary right now Senpai", she said. That caused Ciel to laugh harder. Shuichi sighed and took a seat on the side of the bed by my legs. So he was the one who was standing by the bed... 

"So, Klutz", he said with a slight hint of interest in his voice, "Why were you guys hiding in the bushes earlier ?" My gaze automatically landed on Wakahisa, who by all means, averted her gaze. I reached for the pillow behind me and threw it directly at her. Since she didn't realize, by the time she turned around she had already gotten hit in the face. Not that it hurt. I turned back to Shuichi and sighed. "Explain this throbbing pain in my head first", I said slowly, leaning back against the wall. I took a deep, slow breath. "Why're you even asking me this ?" Ciel crossed her arms and sighed, looking directly at Wakahisa. "So I don't know the exact details", she began to say, her gaze locked on Wakahisa, "But from what I've been told, you were hit in the head by a soccer ball about 3 minutes after someone confessed to Shuichi here." She glanced at him who shook his head in dismay. "I didn't think you were the type to spy", he said to me, "Were you jealous ?" I reluctantly grinned at him. I knew he had said that on purpose. He was even smiling at me. Dangerous. I tried to hit him but he caught my wrist. I stared at it. "In fact, why don't you ask Wakahisa about the eavesdropping part ? I'm sure that she has quite a lot to say about that, don't you, Wakahisa ?" We all turned to Wakahisa who casually inched towards the door with a reluctant smile on her face. "Weren't you the one who was dragging me off ?", I asked with an indifferent tone. "Was I ?", she asked me back. And just like that, she left the room in a rush. I looked back at the loosened grip Shuichi had on my wrist and sighed. "Does that answer your question ?", I asked him. He grinned and let go. 

"Jeez", Ciel mumbled tossing the pillow back at me. "What a drag that girl is." I didn't realize that she had the pillow after I had thrown it at Wakahisa. "Can't you just tell her to leave Shuichi ?" I grinned at him. "But can't you see that he's trying to preserve his 'prince' status ? That'd be bad if she began rumors you know..." "Like the one where you guys are dating ?" I froze. Nothing physically hit me but just hearing about it again was a fatal blow to the chest. I guess you could say that I was about 10 chapters in and I was still in denial about the relationship thing. "Sh.. shut up", I hissed while glaring at her. She stuck her tongue out at me before shaking her head. Shuichi stood up and sighed. "You know, if you're jealous, just tell me. I'd be glad to say no for you." "I thought you didn't like the idea of it either !", I shouted. He shrugged and put his hand in the pockets of his uniform. "I find it easier to agree with things like this", he explained with an amused grin on his face, "That way I won't have to be questioned. Besides, even if we were to deny it all now, who'd listen ?" I looked down at my hands. "Even so..", I mumbled quietly. My head jerked back at a small feeling of pressure. When I straightened up, I realized that Shuichi had flicked me on the forehead with his index finger. "Idiot", he said while looming over me, "Don't over think about such trivial things. They're useless. If you hate it so much I could kill you right now if you'd like ?" He sounded so optimistic about it. He always did. "You know, to put you out of your misery ?" I grinned. "Are you sure ?", I asked him, "Because I prefer to put up a fight before dying.." "In this case, I don't even think I'd consider it as fight." I lunged at him without falling off the bed. I missed but it was an attempt so it was okay. He was too far. "What a weakling you are", he said while moving towards the door, "No wonder why you're always aimed for." "Just wait until I get out of here Shuichi !", I called out as he was leaving, "I'll be sure to kick you !" I heard him chuckling before the door closed behind him. "Right, right."

Ciel moved over to the side of the bed and grinned, pulling up a chair so that she could sit. "You sure are something Shiori", she was saying with an amused look on her face, "Being able to talk to Shuichi like that so causally. I'm surprised that he hasn't killed you yet." "Well jee, thanks", I hissed, "Is that supposed to be a good or bad thing ?" Ciel grinned. "Idiot, that's not what I mean", she continued on, "What I mean is that it's very hard to get close to a guy like him. I've heard that the closest thing a girl could manage to do is say "hi" to him. But you on the other hand, just speak to him as if it were nothing. You must have a lot of enemies." She followed up with a chuckle. I sighed and fell back into the bed. "Yeah, but you talk to him like I do too." "Now do I ?" I looked up at the white ceiling and kept my gaze locked on the blank color. "I don't know", I mumbled quietly, "Maybe it's because I don't look at him the way the other girls do ? Maybe that's why. If I were in love with him, then maybe it wouldn't be like this, now would it ? To be so casual."

The sudden smile that I saw on Ciel's face gave me an uneasy feeling. "If ?", I think is what she asked. "Is it an if, is, or am ?" "What ?", I asked, slightly confused. "What is that supposed to mean ?" 

"Oh, nothing."