Deception

As I stood outside, waiting for the sunrise to move into the horizon, I heard footsteps moving behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see Ciel. "Is there something I can help you with?", I asked.  "The wedding takes place today", she dryly said. "And so?", I replied. She hesitantly glanced around before talking again. Of course she would struggle to say something to me. "I.. I'm worried about Oka", Ciel finally said after a while, "She's been a little off lately." "As in?" "I feel like ever since she found out about the wedding, she hasn't been responding the way she usually does." I smirked and crossed her arms over her chest. "Then why don't you wake her up by knocking some sense into her?", I chuckled. "Are you crazy?", Ciel said in disbelief. "I'm not stupid enough to do that." I sighed and looked away from her. "And this is why you're the most useless guardian", I muttered in dismay, "Why are you holding back? You're just as strong as she is. I don't understand. What's so scary about Oka?" "If only you knew..", she mumbled. I ignored her and scanned through the skyline, hoping to see the sunrise.

"You know what's even scarier?", I asked after a while. "What?", she asked. "Living", I bluntly replied. "Because unlike when you die, you continue to move with time. You never know what'll happen to you. But when you die, it's all over." "What does that have to do with anything?", Ciel snapped. I watched as an orange and pink hue slowly began to appear in the sky. "Nothing really", I mumbled once the sun began to appear, "Don't you agree.. Oka?" I glanced over my shoulder to see her standing by the screen door. Ciel jumped. "Oka?", she said with a colorless face, "How long have you been standing there?" Oka gazed at the morning sky with a feigned, empty smile. "Not long", she simply replied. "Nee, the horizon.. it's beautiful." We all turned to the now colored sky, a reddish hue finally making its appearance. "I couldn't agree more", I chuckled. "Yet it's a shame that not everything can remain that way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Kana, do you really think they'll be able to get the stone?"

From afar, Botan and I watched as Ciel and Oka blended in with the groups of hunters that entered the Main House of the Nakanishi base. As they greeted those around them with feigned smiles, Botan and I observed from one of the magnolia trees that surrounded the main gates. In order to avoid getting seen, I wore a hooded black cloak and concealed my presence. Botan, on the other hand, appeared as she usually would in her pink kimono. 

"It would entirely depend", I replied as I balanced myself on one of the branches. "Although, failing to get the stone isn't exactly an option either." "If all else fails, do you plan to get involved?", Botan asked as she nonchalantly swung her legs as if she was on a swing. "I hope not", I huffed in dismay, "But if push comes to shove, then perhaps. Besides, those two are smart enough to know what they're doing. I'm only babysitting to see how they do." "Don't you trust them?", I hear her say. I smirked. "Trust is a strong word", I sighed, "But I guess you could say that. It's just that something about this is a little sketchy. I want to make sure of something." "And that is?" I leaned against the trunk of the magnolia tree and crossed her hands over her chest. "It's been poking at me for a while but for some reason I can sense..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Main House] [Ciel P.O.V.]

It was just as Senri had said. While everyone wandered around, getting themselves ready, I couldn't help but notice how unorganized the event seemed to be. And what was even stranger was that Senri and Mitsuru were no where to be see. I mean, they were probably getting themselves ready too but for some reason I couldn't feel their presence. I wondered if Oka noticed it as well. There are people from the other branches wandering around but I haven't seen anyone that I've recognized. Even Sotaru or Ao. Shouldn't they be around?

"You there! Young lady!"

I turned around to see a middle aged woman walking my way. "Y-yes?", I hesitantly asked. "Why're you just standing there?", she said, as if I had already done something wrong, "You work with catering don't you? Why aren't you helping out in the kitchen?" I reluctantly smiled. "Ah..", I mumbled, trying to sound like I had remembered, "Sorry, I got lost. I was trying to find my way there." The woman huffed and pointed towards the kitchen. "It's that way", she said, "Now hurry along. Today's a big day." "R-right!", I replied as I bowed. "I.. I'll be on my way." When I turned around and started walking towards the kitchen, I could feel her eyes on my back. I grimaced and waited until I turned the corner to move away. Once I was all alone, I quickened my pace. I had to get to the room before anyone noticed. 

[Oka P.O.V.]

An eerie silence lingered around the courtyard as everyone prepared for the wedding inside. I understood what Senri was saying when he said it was going to be difficult to go unnoticed. At times like this, you would instantly standout. I wondered how Ciel was doing. We said that we were going meet each other at the koi pond once things were over but something felt off. I wanted to look for Senri but doing so would've been a bad choice. I sighed in dismay and continued. The goal was to get the ring. 

...?

I moved myself behind the staircase that lead to the second floor of the house and listened. There were a group of hunters who were wandering about. I assumed they were on patrol. "Aww, and here I thought I could see Kris", a girl whined, "Why did they put him on active duty? Shouldn't he be watching his cousin get married?" "I heard that it was the same for Izumi", another voice replied. This time it belonged to a boy. "Although, Suzue didn't choose for it to happen. I heard that Eriko-sama was the one who selected the guards for her wedding." "The people she picked are pretty strong", a third voice said, one belonging to another boy. "But don't you think she could've added more people to stand around the ring? Usually it would be more than 5." "Oh, but she did", the girl replied, "It went up to 15." Is that so, I thought. 15 huh? "Yeah", boy no.1 said, "It's a lot. I mean Eriko-sama can choose to do as she pleases, but it's not like anyone is going to come take it." "Obviously", boy no.2 laughed, "Who'd be stupid enough to do that? Especially since this is a gathering. Hunters of every branch are here today."   

"Too bad Grandfather is away. It's such a shame.. He would've been so happy to see Suzue and Mitsuru get married."

I tucked in a loose strand of hair behind my ear and waited until I couldn't hear their footsteps anymore. Afterwords, I came out from behind the staircase and sighed. It looks like we were deceived after all, I thought as I set out to find Ciel. Something was definitely off. 

Especially if Grandfather wasn't home on such an important event.