A Familiar Face

"It looks like we've really failed this time. Jeez.. how pathetic. I should've known."

"Sorry Shiori.. but it looks like it's all over now. We're stuck."

"...?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not that far away stood Xeila. After so long, she finally made an appearance. However it looked like nothing changed. She still looked at me in disgust. 

"So I hear that you spoke up against Luurè", she began to say. "It looks like you're really prepared to die this time." "You sound like your worried", I chuckled faintly, "But your face says something else. You expected this from me, didn't you ?" "What kind of idiot would fall for your facade ?", she replied. "Of course I knew. We all did. You may be a decoy, but you're still a guardian. Just knowing that is enough. You're not a weak person." "Is that a compliment ?" She crossed her arms and peered towards the door. "Take it as you like", she mumbled, "Besides, it's not like you're going to live after this anyways. You made a mistake to stand against Luurè. But to be completely honest, it was kind of refreshing to see him so angry after so long. To think that he could be provoked by a mere human. What a joke that is." "He was angry ?" Xeila smirked and leaned against the wall of the gray room. "He was. You just couldn't tell. I've known him for too long. I assume that it was after the day of your second test. I heard from Eion that you finally decided to show the stronger side of you to him, that you didn't appear as weak as you did from the days before." "I see", I mumbled. Xeila sighed. "You know.. I really hate you for that", she said softly. "Instead of it being Luurè, why couldn't you have shown that side to me ? After that idiot died, this place became boring." I didn't respond. She sighed heavily.

"I hope that you know what you're getting yourself into. Then again, you should've already realized that your fate was sealed the moment you provoked Luurè." I grinned at her. "If I didn't know, then maybe I would've been more cautious, don't you agree ?", I asked in a carefree manner. Xeila smirked at me before saying, "I'll see you in hell." At that moment, we both turned to the door, and if on cue, it opened. There stood Luurè and Eion, and with them, two children who followed after them in ropes. Luurè smiled at me, somewhat in a provoking manner. I took a deep breath and sighed in dismay. 

So it really looks like Asai and the other got caught then huh ? Good grief. 

"So are these the guests you were referring to ?", I asked. Luurè handed the rope to Eion, who headed over to Xeila. The children cowered in fear as she loomed over them with a hostile gaze. "I guess you could say that", he replied to me. "But not exactly." I stared at his nonchalant expression. "Say", I mumbled slowly, "Do you.. despise me Luurè ?" He grinned in response. "Depends", he replied. "So will you kill me here ?", I asked. He chuckled. "Depends", he said again. This time, he was slowly moving towards me. 

Careful, Kana said. If you allow him to get too close, he'll stab you. I've fought with Luurè before. I know how he fights. Follow my lead, and you'll at least be able to leave in acceptable condition. He's a very deceiving person, so I suggest that you don't let your guard down at all during this time. The moment you make a mistake, it'll be all over.

You also want to save the others, don't you ?

I frowned and slightly shifted my position. Of course I do, I thought slowly. If anything were to happen to them then.. I'd never forgive myself. Kana chuckled. Jah, she said.

Then use that thought as your motivation to live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Block.. Kick.. Grab.. Throw.. Block.. Duck.. Punch... 

My, how this reminds me so much of that time. How long has it been since then ? 10,000 years or.. no, it's been much longer than that. It's been so long. Do you remember when we fought like this before Luurè ? It was when we were arguing about what to do about the problems that going on within the cities of Makai. I remember how exhausted we were afterwords.

Now that I think about it, which one of us won that day ? I don't remember.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Xeila watching us with a fixed gaze. Beside her, Eion, who seemed to be doing the same thing. Not that far away from me, Luurè. We were both covered in minor wounds, things like small cuts and bruises.

"To think that you've lasted this long without having any major wounds", Luurè called out with a mischievous smile. "I admire you for that. I would've expected you to have fallen within 10 minutes, but it looks like I was wrong." "Why thank you", I replied slowly. "But I don't exactly feel like dying today. There's still a few things for me to do before I die." "Oh really", he chuckled. Move to your right and then duck. If possible, try to avoid getting pulled back by him. I did as told and was so close to getting into contact with his arm. I sighed in relief when he missed. That was when I noticed him falter for a moment. He turned to where Xeila and the others were. Xeila stared at the floor desolately while Eion averted his gaze. What is he doing ?, I asked myself. To my surprise, he relaxed himself and make his way over to them.

...?

Luurè grabbed Seiji's son by the arm and pulled him into the fight. I narrowed my gaze, becoming uneasy. "What're you doing ?", I called out slowly. "I thought this was between us !? Why did you bring him in ?" Luurè chuckled at me before looking down at the boy. I could see tears beginning to form in the boy's eyes. I tightened my hand into a fist and automatically began to think of a way to save him before he got hurt. Don't over think this, Kana warned. Luurè is doing this to throw you off. I didn't listen.

"Don't you know that demons don't play fair ?" "He has nothing to do with this !", I snapped. "Even so, this makes it much easier." "What ?"

It was at that moment that I should've realized. Idiot !!, I could hear Kana shouting, Move !! Move to your left before he..!" Luurè smiled at me sweetly. "You really are a decoy after all", he said in a boring tone. "I thought that you would've noticed. Too bad." I tightened my grip around his arm and winced. Damn..!

Just a few seconds earlier, Luurè had shoved the boy towards me. As a reflex, I caught him and immediately pushed him back. But not in time. Right after pushing him behind me, Luurè took the chance and stabbed me in the side. However, if it hadn't been for Kana, he would've been able to stab me in the heart. If that had been the case, then I would've died. At the moment, my hands were wrapped around his arm, trying to prevent him from digging the blade even deeper into me. By now, blood had already dripped into the floor. "......."

"..All for one life", Luurè began to say. His voice was full of disappointment. "Why do such bothersome thing ?" Why ? I smirked and glanced up at him. For some unknown reason, he looked surprised. It caused him to pull the blade out and take a step back. I instantly fell to one knee, clutching onto my side. The room was silent for a while. I flinched and forced myself to stand up. By the time I got myself to looked up at Luurè, there was a questionable look in his eyes. "Eion, Xeila", he suddenly called out slowly. "Yeah ?", Eion replied.

"Come here and..."

[Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.]

They all turned to the flashing red lights that came from the light that hung above the door. Eion reached into his pocket and pulled something out.

"Sachi", I think is what he said, "What's going on ? Why is the alarm going off ?"

Xeila, at this time, approached me with Kaori's sister. She pushed her towards me before silently walking away to Eion. Luurè cautiously stared at the door. Why was that ?

"I'm trying to figure it out", Sachi replied sternly. "For some reason, there was a malfunction in Fragment... We're trying to connect to the others in that section but theres no response. I've sent Ryou to investi..." The connection was cut off and followed by silence. The alarm continued to go off. "Sachi !?", Eion shouted into the small item in his hand. "Sachi ! Are you still there !?" Luurè sighed and walked over to Eion and Xeila. They stared at him, confused.

Just then, the door burst open. My eyes widened in surprise.

"I must sincerely apologize for this unexpected visit, Luurè of Makai", she called out serenely. "But it looks like it's time to end this small fight of yours."