A Feigned Sympathy

[Shiori wake up. Shiori...]

Sometimes there were voices. Sometimes there weren't. I didn't know where I was. I felt like I was sinking.. like I was drowning in something that I couldn't see. It felt heavy and inescapable.

[Wake up, they're waiting for you.]

Who is they ? Who's waiting for me ? I can't seem to remember what happen... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"..."

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was a white ceiling. For some reason, my vision was blurry. It was also hard to breathe. I could feeling something slowly trickling down the side of my face. I reluctantly looked to my side to see someone resting their head on the side of the bed. To my surprise, it was.. Ciel. Ciel ? She looked completely exhausted and was breathing softly as she slept. I wanted to pat her head but I didn't want to wake her up, so I waited. I wondered why she was here. Where was this ? It's been so long since the last time I've seen her... But wait, if she's here, then where are the others ? What happen to Sara and the rest of them ? I closed my eyes and frowned, trying to remember what had happened. All I remember is that silhouette.

About 5 minutes after closing my eyes, there was a soft knock at the door. Shortly after, it opened and then closed. Someone had stepped in. Ciel, who had been sleeping beside me, took a deep breath before slowly sitting up. She was a light sleeper after all (at least I think so). "Shuichi ?", she said in a drowsy voice, "What is it ?" At the mention of his name, my heart seemed to beat faster. I kept my eyes closed and listened to them talking. "You haven't left her side for three days now", he said to her, "I can take over from here. You should go and get some sleep." Three days ? I heard her yawn. "Yeah", she mumbled, "I.. probably should." She paused. "You're worried aren't you ?" I heard her stand up beside me. "Sometimes there are some things that you can't help worry about", she said, sounding somewhat sympathetic, "Don't you agree Shuichi ?" He sighed. "Of course", he replied. I heard her moving away. "Jah", she said, "I'll see you in a bit. There are too many things that we have to clear up right now." He didn't respond. He probably just nodded. Again, I could hear the door open. Then it closed. I could hear his footsteps moving towards me. He eventually stopped beside my bed.

"You're such an idiot", he said in a stern voice, "Do you know how much I want to strangle you right now ?" I could tell that he really was talking to me. He knew that I was awake. In response, I smiled. I opened my eyes to see him looming over me. He was glaring. "Ah so you found out", I replied softly, "That I was awake." "The only reason to why Ciel couldn't tell was because she hasn't been sleeping properly", he replied. I hesitated for a moment before grinning. "Did you miss me ?", I asked. He didn't respond. I reached my hand out and touched his cheek. "Nee, Shuichi", I mumbled, "Did you miss me ?" His emerald colored eyes gleamed as he took my hand and held it. "Would my answer matter ?", he asked nonchalantly. "You already know the answer." I grinned and pulled my hand back, bringing him along with it. His hair smelled like roses. "Nee, Shuichi", I said as I buried my head into the side of his neck, "What happened ?" He didn't move but I could tell he was balancing himself out so that he didn't fall over. One of his hands were beside my head. "You collapsed", he replied slowly, "As you heard, you've been asleep for three days now."  "I didn't die ?", I asked. "Were you expecting to ?", he asked in return. I slightly tightened my arms around his neck and closed my eyes. "I saw a red light", I replied slowly, "It was aiming towards me but before it could even touch me, I saw a white light." "A white light ?", he mumbled, "When we saw it, the only thing we saw was an explosion. By the time everything, including the dust, subsided, we saw you collapse." The scent of his hair was soothing.

"Nee Shuichi, where are the others ?" "They're all outside." "What about.."

Before I could finish, there was commotion coming from outside of the door. There were voices. I let go of Shuichi and sat up. We both turned towards the door before it suddenly burst open. Standing there, on the other side, was a glaring Juuji, and an embarrassed Sara. She was standing behind him, shaking her head. "Oh jeez", I heard her say as she stared down the hall, "Why do you do this to me Juuji ?" Juuji seemed to have discarded her words and walked into the room. He walked up to Shuichi and stood in front of him. He didn't look too happy.

"Who are you and what do you think you're doing to my darling !?" Shuichi, who always had that indifferent expression towards some people, stared at him and didn't reply. My first reaction was to turn away to avoid the cringe but something about the moment seemed interesting to me. After a moment of having a heavy tension in the room, Shuichi said, "Who am I ?" There was a smirk on his face. Even his voice sounded provoking. "Why, I'm her husband", he said. Juuji continued to scowl at him. Sara, who was behind him, turned away and was clinging onto her stomach. I was 100% sure that she was laughing. "That's not possible", Juuji snapped, "The only person she needs in her life is me." "Oh yeah ?", Shuichi asked in a taunting manner, "And you are ?" I think that smile on Shuichi's face made my heart skip a beat. Good grief, what am I doing with my life. "So was this the one that you were trying to hide from me ?", Juuji asked when he turned to me. "Ahh", I mumbled reluctantly, "I guess.. you could say that." I heard Sara snicker as she entered the room. "I didn't know you were married Hanamura", she said with a grin, "What a surprise." "So then that means that you were the one who left that mark on her neck  !", Juuji exclaimed. I scowled at Sara who smiled back at me. Shuichi shrugged and crossed his arms. "Maybe I am", he replied nonchalantly, "Maybe not." The both of them locked gazes and were staring each other down.

"Hey now", I mumbled, trying to get them to stop, "Don't.. fight." Shuichi sighed and turned to me. "I think you're talking to the wrong person", he said. I grinned. "Jah, then don't provoke him..." "Darling I don't see what's so good about this guy !", Juuji said with a frown, "He looks pretty normal to me." Shuichi didn't even react. He kept that indifferent look on his face. "You're one to talk", he said. I reached for Shuichi's hand and tugged on it. "Hey !", I snapped, slightly pulling him towards me, "Didn't you hear what I said ?" To my surprise, he looked down at me and stared. And then, he moved closer.

...!?

"AHHHH WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY DARLING JUST NOW !!!????"

"Oh jeez."

When Shuichi was looming over me, I put a hand on my forehead and stared at him in disbelief. "You.. just now..?" He stuck his tongue out at me. There was an amused look on his face. "Hmm ?", he asked in a mischievous tone, "What was that ?" I stopped myself and shook my head. I could see a faint smile on his face as he moved away. "That's what I thought." I gulped and watched as he nonchalantly walked past Juuji and Sara to leave the room. After a moment of silence, Sara broke out into a laugh. Juuji stared at her in disbelief. I sighed and turned to the window, slightly smiling.

Jeez, he hasn't changed.