Intertwined Shadows

A surprised expression appeared on the boy's face as he opened the door. He looked up at me with an uneasy expression and turned around to look at someone. Nearby I could see Sara watching me with caution. She walked towards us. Asai watched from the kitchen.

"Kana", she said, trying to maintain her composure. "You've come back. Is there something you need ?" I looked past her and glanced at the second floor of the house. I tried to sense Oka's or Ciel's aura. When I didn't, I turned back to her. "To begin with", I nonchalantly replied, "I wouldn't be so cautious if I were you. I have no intention of going against Shiori's wishes. And second, if I may add, where is Oka and Ciel ? I have something important to tell them." "If you're looking for those two, then you should probably go to where Botan is", Asai called out from the kitchen. "They had something to ask her, so that's most likely where they went." "I see", I mumbled, already beginning to leave. "Wait." I paused and turned towards the voice.

It belonged to Azalin, who was suddenly standing on the stairs. "You say that we mustn't be cautious of you", she said as she slowly walked downstairs, "But how do we know if we should trust you ?" I smirked. "I'm a demon, yes", I replied, "But I am one that keeps her word. If not, then I would've killed you all long ago. I wouldn't group every demon in the same category if I were you. Shiori would be sad if she heard that." Azalin sighed. "I assume you're right."

"What'll you do after you find them ?", Asai asked. I reached for the door knob and opened the door. "You'll find out", I replied as I slowly closed the door behind me. "Eventually."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I finally managed to find them, it was around mid afternoon. Just as I had been told, they were with Botan. They were standing along the barrier around the Old Ruins. 

"Ah, if it isn't Kana", Oka called out when she saw me. I was greeted by a hostile glare from Ciel. Botan nonchalantly stood by, saying nothing. "What're you doing here ?", Ciel bluntly asked. As usual, she was so welcoming. Even her tone proved that. "I learned of something that I will be of use to us in the future", I replied with a taunting smile. "Care to listen ? Or should I just take the matter into my own hands ?" "No", Oka sternly replied. She glanced over at Ciel, and then back to me. "Do tell us of this." I glimpsed over at Ciel who said nothing. "Oh?", I muttered, "Now you're willing to listen ?" Ciel huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. "I don't care about what you do", she said, "But if it involves bringing Shiori back, then I'm willing to go as far as working with someone like you." "Ouch", I chuckled. "But fair enough."

"Concerning this matter", Oka began to say, "Does it have something to do with the Council ?" "What would this matter be without them ?", I responded with a sigh, "Of course it is." I glanced over at Botan. "Botan, correct?", I nonchalantly asked. She slowly nodded her head. "Yes?", she replied. "Considering how the Guardian System is still in play in this world", I mumbled, "Does that mean that King Enma no longer has any hold over the stones ?" "Are you talking about the stones that the Guardians inherit from their predecessors ?", Botan asked. I nodded my head and turned to Oka. "My time in Ningenkai has been short, but not once have I felt the presence of a stone", I said with a frown, "Is it possible that it was never given to you ?" Oka shook her head. "And you ?", I asked. Ciel also shook her head. "I think you should probably ask Koenma about that", Botan said. "He's should know about it." The thought of meeting him again was amusing to me. I wonder how much he's grown since the last time we've met ?

"So a trip to the Spirit World then hmm..?" "Basically."

I was beginning to turn and leave when I was stopped. "Wait. You mentioned the stones, but you never said why the stones were so important." I looked straight ahead and smirked. There was no point in turning around to face them. "You're still hiding things from us. When will you start telling us the truth ?" "When everything is in place", I replied. "Then I will tell you." "Heh", Ciel scoffed, "I shouldn't have kept my hopes up for someone like you." "Say as you will", I replied, already beginning to walk away from them. "Besides, what good will it be for you if you know nothing about those stones ? In what ways will it benefit you ?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the Guardian System was created those many years ago, those stones were also created. In order to strengthen the system, they were given as a last resort. It was somewhat like the Kekkai Barrier, but more of a section. There were three stones.

At the time, the Guardian lineup was Isamu, Aya, and I. Isamu was the Guardian of the Spirit World. Aya was the Guardian of Ningenkai. I was the Guardian of Makai. Isamu was given the Blue Stone. Aya was given the Green Stone. I was given the Red Stone. Each one represented the different worlds in its own way. They were used to stabilize the Guardian System. However, it seems that the more that time continued to move on, the more easier it was to lose them. When I closed my eyes to this world, the last thing I knew was that Isamu and Aya had their stones. By the time I would wake up again, I knew that they would no longer be around. Not only were the stones created to stabilize, but they were also made to connect us to each other. After they died, my stone didn't glow. And regarding the whereabouts of that stone... I don't know where it's gone. It's possible that it's hiding within the last place I was before I sealed myself away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A gust of wind blew by my shoulder as I continued to walk down a faded path through a grove of tress that surrounded me. I didn't bother to stop. "Yuuto", I said with a frown. "How long do you plan to play these games with me ?" There were footsteps behind me. "For as long as I want to", he replied, "Does it bother you that much ?" "It does." Yuuto sighed. "Unfortunately for you, this is an order from Luurè", he said in amusement, "I'm not allowed to leave you until someone shows up." "Why can't he just show up himself ?", I asked. "Oh? Now you want to meet him ?" I grinned at the thought. "He'd probably try to kill me", I mumbled with a sigh. "But it's better than this. I have a proposal for him." "Do you now?", Yuuto said. I looked over my shoulder to see him smirking at me. "I do", I replied. 

"So tell him that in three days from now, I will be waiting for him by the Old Ruins."