Soon, It Begins

"Do you think she's realized it by now Xiela ? That my barrier hasn't been lifted ?"

"Surely by now. Although that girl makes it appear as if she takes everything lightly, she's quite an observant human. Perhaps even that person has realized it too."

"Who ?"

"The Guardian of Reikai. According to Luurè, she's gone back to the Human World."

"Ara ? Is that so ? Then maybe I can go in and have some fun as well..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The boy mischievously smiled at me and slowly held his hand out. "What do you say Nee-san", he cautiously called out, "Would you like to come with me to the grave ?" I hugged myself as a shiver ran down my spine. "On such a beautiful night like this ?", I asked him. "If so, then I must kindly decline your offer." The boy smirked and lowered his hand. "If you say so", he replied with a shrug, "But you know.. I'm sure that that's not the only thing you want to ask about." "Ooohh deeeaaarr", I sarcastically sighed, "I'veee been caaaauuughhhtt.." In response, he laughed. "Jah Nee-san", he said as he turned around, "I'll lead the way." I watched as he raised his hand and began to walk away. "Will do", I mumbled, and trailed after him.

It wouldn't be until a few minutes later that I stopped walking. As soon as I realized where he was taking me, I paused. And he immediately noticed. He looked over his shoulder at me and smirked. "Ara ?", he said in a provoking manner, "You've stopped walking. Afraid ?" "Of what ?", I replied and slightly narrowed my gaze. He chuckled and turned around to face me. "Of this reality", he said. I stared at him before breaking out into a grin. "..Without the truth", I added softly. "Why should I concern myself with something like that ?" The boy pointed at me. "Because if not, then you're going to die with that", he said. I glanced at my arm. "So you're aware of it ?", I asked. "That she did something to me ?" He nodded. "Of course", he called out. I slowly rolled up my sleeve to see that the black design was suddenly there. "Mother doesn't hesitate", he said and began to walk towards me, "When she noticed, she knew she could use it against you." "Like a threat ?", I suggested when he finally stood in front of me. "Bingo", he enthusiastically responded. "Does it look like I'm scared of dying ?" He smiled. "Though that really doesn't matter you know ?", he replied. "Because you're already dead."

A gust of wind blew by us. The both of us stared at each other. "Perhaps", I said, averting my gaze to look up at the night sky. He laughed and casually brushed my hair away from my face. "Either way, you already know the answer." I felt him grab onto my left arm. From the corner of my eye, I could see him examining it. "Although you appear young you seem to know quite a lot of things", I said. "Well of course", he bluntly replied. "I may look like this now, just a mere child, but I'm probably much older than you." "If that's the case, then I assume the girl that's always with you is also the same ?" "No." He looked up at me and slightly tightened his grip around my arm. I stared at his hand. "Sadly, that's not the case", he said. I sighed.

"What do you really want from me ?", I asked. The boy took a step back and waved his finger at me. "That's for me to know and for you to find out", he responded, and turned away. "Then why bother to show up in front of me ?" He seemed to smirk. "I don't know", he carelessly replied with a shrug. I frowned. He slightly glanced over his shoulder. "I'm not even supposed to be associating with you right now", he continued to say, "Mother told us to keep away from you, but.. you're interesting. I despise humans, yet for some reason there's something strange about you that makes you different from the rest." I laughed. "Or so I've been told", I replied bitterly. He grimaced before faking a laugh. "I'd be careful if I were you. Mother isn't going to go easy on you." He started to fade away. I grinned.

"No need to tell me something that I already know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So how are the searches going ?", I asked as I walked alongside Shuichi. He looked up at the cloudless sky and sighed. "Same as usual", he mumbled, "But it's not as stressful." "How so ?" He glimpsed at me but continued to walk. "There are more hints appearing now. Botan said that if we were lucky enough, that there would be a high chance of finding them before the end of this week." I sighed in relief. "Ah, that's nice to hear", I mumbled. "We'll finally be able to get them back..." "And what about you ?" I stared at the people that were walking in front of us. "Nothing really", I replied dryly. "Just complications." Shuichi laughed. "It looks like the tables have turned then huh ?" I scowled at him. "Shhhhh", I hissed, "No need to remind me. Besides, it's been a while since we've been able to walk like this. Don't you agree ?" "True." I glanced at his hand while he was walking ahead of me. "Hmm...." Shuichi looked over his shoulder and stared at me. "What is it ?", he asked me. "Why're you slowing down ?" I walked towards him and grabbed his hand. "Hmm...", I mumbled, "I wonder about that." He gave me a look of disbelief. "You're weird", he said as we continued to walk together. "You know that ?" I nodded my head and slightly moved closer to him. "Of course", I chuckled. "If that wasn't the case, then don't you think that I wouldn't have done it ?" Shuichi sighed and brought our hands our in front of us. "Nee", he said as he stared at them. "Were your hands always this cold ?" I slightly tilted my head to the side. "I don't know ?"

"Anyhow Shuichi, putting all that aside, you're not doing anything today are you ?" "No ? Why do you ask ?" "Hmm, well if that's the case.. how about spending today with me ? I don't know when we'll be able to walk like this again, so.. I thought it would be nice to spend today with you." "Are you asking me ?" I hesitated. "You sound troubled", I laughed. "No, it's just that you sound impatient." I frowned at him, feeling somewhat disappointed. "Is it bad to miss being around a noisy person like you ?" He reached over and patted my head. "Guess not", he chuckled. "Besides, too many things are going on right now. No one seems to have time for anything anymore.." Shuichi sighed. 

"But what can we do at a time like this ?", he mumbled sternly. "When it comes to things like this, we don't have a choice but to follow and see how things turn out."