Flightless

I am an heir. I am a cursed child. I am the last one.

No matter how much I try, nothing will change. I'll continue to stand in the shadow of my past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To think that after so long, I'd return to a room that I thought that'd I never be able to go back to. To this place especially, with the company of Grandfather. I shouldn't even be here.

"Have you been well Shiori ?", was the very first thing he asked me. "It's been quite a long time since the last time we've met." A small wave of guilt slowly came over me. The word "regret" echoed in my head. "It has, hasn't it Grandfather ?", I replied softly as I stared at the nostalgic portrait of my Mother that hung on the wall of the room. The room that we used to reside in. "It's been more than 5 years.."

"You've changed." I looked over my shoulder and slightly smiled at him. "You as well", I replied. Grandfather chuckled and glanced outside into the garden. "Of course not child", he mumbled, "I'm not getting any younger nowadays.." I laughed at his remark. "After so long, I'm surprised that you can still bring yourself to call me that", I hesitantly said. "...Child." "You sound as if you were never meant to be forgiven." I turned around to see him staring at me with a weary smile. I slowly averted my gaze and stared at the ground. "No", I mumbled softly. "Not after what happened then. I.. completely lost myself."

"But even so", Grandfather replied, his footsteps beginning to move closer, "You are still one of my grandchildren." I frowned and looked up at the ceiling. I knew he was standing behind me. "You may not realize this now Shiori, but you still have a place here." I turned around and looked at Grandfather with a desolate smile. "But for what reason ?", I asked softly. "Besides.. this place has no room for a person like me anymore. A person left in isolation. Back then, when Mother was alive, and when Father was around.. they were the only reasons to why I was able to stay here. But after she died and things changed, my reason for being here disappeared."

"And to make things more complicated, that person is also still here. To be underneath the same roof as the person who killed her... don't you think that that's just asking for trouble ? If I were to ever see her again.. who knows what I'll do. Aside from that Grandfather, aren't you aware that I'm a traitor ?"

"That's not true", he replied. His serenity began to fade as a stern expression slowly began to appear. "You still have a place here, no matter what others may say. And although it may seem like that, there are still some people who are waiting for your return."

My smile slowly began to fade. "As heir ?", I asked. He didn't nod, nor did he smile. He already knew. "Tell me, Grandfather", I mumbled as I began to frown. "Has that man even bothered come by ?" No response. "I assume that he's in the same position as I then." "Perhaps." I took a deep breath and sighed. "Grandfather, would you like to know why I'm really here ?"

"Is it because of a demon parading around as Hanae ?", he said. My eyes widened. "How did you kno-" Grandfather smiled. He was smiling, yet there was no meaning behind it. "She appeared here, a few days ago. At first, I suspected a ghost, but I was wrong." "Where is he ?", I asked. "I don't know", he replied. I stared at him in disbelief. "You lie", I replied. "I know that tone." "Despite it being a long time ?", he asked. "Of course. I don't forget." Grandfather chuckled. "That man is around here somewhere", he said with a light sigh, "You'll just have to find him. From what I was told, he appeared before Reine, and not I, his own flesh and blood." "I wonder if he'll even recognize me", I mumbled. "Oh he will", Grandfather replied. "He will."

"You resemble those two very well."

"Have you told anyone about this ?", I asked. Grandfather shook his head. "It is none of their concern", he replied with a nostalgic smile, "Besides, in a few days or so, there's going to be a banquet here. Guests shouldn't have to know about any of this if I want everyone to enjoy themselves. You should stop by as well, at the banquet that is." I chuckled and walked over to Grandfather. Once again, I stared out into the garden. "I must kindly decline that offer", I said with a slight grin. Grandfather reached over and patted my head. My eyes widened. "It's fine", he mumbled with a troubled smile. "Whenever you're ready."

"I'll continue to wait for that time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ciel sighed and put the bandages down on my desk. "This is so weird", she mumbled as she put a hand on the side of her neck, "It's been almost a week since you fell from the 3rd floor yet.. for some strange reason it doesn't seem like any of your wounds are healing.." I raised my arm and stared at the fresh bandages. "Hmm.. so you noticed it too." "Of course I noticed", she replied sternly, "I've been the one changing the bandages. Did something else happen ?" I shrugged and lowered my arm. "I don't know", I sighed as I fell back into my bed. "Besides, if there was a barrier or something like that, don't you think that you would've been able to notice it ?" "Hmm.. that's true." I heard Ciel beginning to walk towards the door of my room. However, when she was at the door, she paused. "You're okay right ?", she asked me. I turned my head and grinned at her. "Yup." She hesitated. I kept on grinning. "I see", she said, as she opened the door. "Jah, then i'll see you later." "Will do." I watched as she quietly closed the door behind her. After that, I sat up and walked over to the door. I locked it and turned around to face my mirror. Ciel was going to ask something other than just "you're okay right ?". But she hesitated and changed her words. Just what was she going to ask me ?

I raised my left arm and removed the bandages. I waved my hair piece over it and Eion's barrier started to appear. It's sized seemed to have grown again. I stared at my reflection for a while before suddenly realizing that there was something new on my arm. In addition to the black intricate design, there seemed to be a silhouette of a crescent moon.

'It's a tainted barrier', Kana sudden said. 'What does that mean ?', I asked. 'So you see how there's a wound on this arm ? When the wound was still fresh, that duplicate seemed to have used something. Poison maybe ? And because of that, the barrier is growing. If I recall, Eion's barrier's don't grow.' I sighed in dismay. 'Is that why it's not healing ?'

'Shiori.' 'Nani ?' 'Are you aware that your health is deteriorating ?' 'Of course I am.'

There was a strained laugh. 'I see why we're a perfect match', she chuckled. 'You're just as careless as I am.' I couldn't help but smile a little. 'Maybe', I replied. 'But something like this.. it's not good. This just makes the risk even higher for the both of us.' 'Indeed', she shallowly said, 'Let's just hope that we're not wasting too much time.' 'You see, I don't plan on breaking our promise Kana.' She laughed. 'Hopefully not', she sighed. 'But now that you mention it.. we should probably start tracking that duplicate. Knowing that they want something from you, it probably won't be hard for you to find them.' 'Probably. But where ?' 'Hmm.. good question.'

'Say, aside from that...'