Give Me A Sign, I Want To Believe

Asteria's POV:

I can't stop tossing and turning in my sheets. Now that the single art is finished and turned in it no longer feels real. Everything feels like it happened longer than a few hours ago and I can't sleep. I check my phone again and there's nothing. Maybe he realized that I'm nothing special and doesn't care for me much. Maybe I was just a little game.

My phone lights up and I know automatically that it's Davey.

You up?

Of course.

Can I come over?

Ugh.

I put my phone down and head over to the door, knowing that's exactly where he's texting me from.

"Jesus, Asteria couldn't you at least put on pants?"

"Not now. I'm tired. I can't sleep. Some annoying guy is at my door." He smiles and I roll my eyes as he comes in. I shut the door and he sits on the couch facing the door.

"And why can't you stay at your apartment?"

"It's not as comfortable."

"Bad dream?"

"Yeah. Don't want to tell you what it was about though." I can tell by the way that he's watching my front door that it's something I'd rather not hear. "Look, is it weird if I sleep in the room tonight?"

It must have been bad...I'm suddenly nervous because I know exactly what his nightmare was about.

"Please," I ask softly.

"I'm sorry, Asteria. I just couldn't shake this one."

"It's fine...if it was that bad..." I can feel my eyes water and Davey shoves something into me. Sweatpants. I slip them on and lay in bed. He kisses the top of my head and tucks me in and I've never been more grateful to have him as a best friend. I can't help but feel like some kind of small creature that he feels the need to take care of.

He kicks off his shoes and makes a pillow divider between us. I roll my eyes and can't help but smile just a little bit as I remember him sleeping over for the first time when we were thirteen and told we needed at least a foot of space between us at all times.

"Just like old times, right?" He smiles and nods and gets under the covers.

"Why are you crying munchkin?"

"I'm afraid..."

"Of what? I'm here to keep you safe like always. I don't skip leg day at the gym for nothing, you know." He grins at me and I see his teeth shining in the dark room.
"Do you think he'd come back?"

"If he did it would be the last time. I'd make sure of that. He's not getting near you again." There's a coldness in his voice and I know he means it.

"Davey..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you think he's like him?"

"No. I don't think he's anything like him. He doesn't have that vibe that screams r-"

"Davey..."

"Sorry. I forgot...no r word."

'Thank you. I need to try and sleep." He reaches over and pets my hair.

"Good night munchkin. Don't be scared. I'm here. I'll always be here."

------------------------------------------------

I wake up to Davey snoring and my phone going off.