She Can't Believe Genius Only Comes Along In Storms Of Fabled Foreign Tongues

Asteria:

My stomach is tight with nerves. The backtrack would have been fine, Brendon! I don't know what made me agree to this. It's their second song on the set, too, so I have no time to even get comfortable. We practiced all of Thanksgiving night and earlier today in his parents living room and despite the words of encouragement from his parents and even Bean, I don't feel ready.

The crowd cheers as Vegas Lights comes to a close and I'm trembling. Brendon laughs into the microphone and gives me a wink. He's so confident on stage...

"How are we tonight Las Vegas?!" He shouts and the arena roars. "I gotta say, it's great to be home. I have someone very special hiding off stage tonight. Did you guys get to hear our most recent radio interview at all?"

The crowd let's out a loud "yeeessss" and I shuffle around uncomfortably.

"Great! So, for our acoustic set, we had a singer sit in and perform Miss Jackson with us. Did you guys like that?" The crowd cheers, to my surprise, and Brendon gives me a nod. "Well, I've got that singer, my beautiful girlfriend, Asteria, here tonight and she's a little nervous. Can we try and make her feel welcome so we can get on with the show?"

He motions his hand out to me and I take a deep breath. When I walk onto the stage I immediately wonder why it is that he's having me come out and sing literally in front of thousands of people. They're all waving and cheering...they don't hate me... I'm handed a mic and I take it with trembling hands.

"U-um, hi guys," I stammer. Brendon takes my hand and kisses my cheek. I hear myself through my ear-ins and I sound pathetic. Brendon pulls one out of my ear-ins and says something along the lines of you'll be fine.

"Alright, let's go!" He coos and I take a deep breath and start to sing. I loosen up as soon as he starts singing with me. Halfway through the song I understand why Brendon loves this.

I can feel the vibrations coming from the monitors and I move my body freely with the monitors. There's a release to doing this, it's like a drug.

As it ends Brendon gives me a kiss and I head off stage, waving at the crowd and it makes me happy when they wave back. That wasn't awful.

At the end of the show Brendon is covered in sweat and he's so loosened up you'd think he was high.

"You were amazing, you gorgeous creature," he says while he breathes heavily and plants a light kiss on my mouth.

"Not as amazing as you guys," I say to the rest of the band. They eventually group hug me and I feel a sadness as I realize that this is my last night together with Brendon.

"Good night, Vegas. Houston, here I come," he sighs happily. Dallon gives him a small smack on the arm. I give Dallon a smile and a head shake. I knew this would happen. It's no big deal.

"You sure you can't come?" Brendon asks as he interlaces his fingers between mine.

"I really can't. I have class on Monday and I haven't done any homework," I say with a sigh. He looks at me, puzzled.

"You have homework as an art major?" I roll my eyes at him.

"Yes, Brendon. I still have classes that don't include drawing things. And drawing things is actually a really time consuming amount of homework!"

"Sorry! I guess I never thought about it!"

"I guess you don't think," Dan chimes in and I laugh. 

"Alright, guys. We have to head out. I don't want to miss my flight," I say with a sigh as I check the time on my phone. Brendon frowns when everyone else beats him to a hug. I'm trapped in the center of Kenny, Dan, and Dal.