The World May Call It A Second Chance

Brendon:

-2 days ago-

I've been coming to visit her every day. I haven't been able to eat or sleep...this is my fault. I did this. I should have been more careful with her. I should have said something instead of letting her walk out of that club. What was I supposed to say though? I'm a player but I think you can change me?

I have to tell her when she wakes up...I have to tell her everything I've done and hope that she sticks around. That's what David said. We're kind of getting along. Despite this whole it's my fault she's in here thing. I think he kind of likes me. And he's a really nice guy. The elevator doors open and I find her room. David's sitting on the chair next to her bed and I take the one next to him.

"How's she doing?"

"Her vitals are all okay...I just can't believe I let this happen...again..." I'm caught off guard.

"Again?" He looks and me and sighs. "David. What do you mean again?"

"Dude you can call me Davey. Its actually really weird if you call me David so let's just end that now." I nod and take a sip of my iced tea.

"Right when we graduated...something like this happened. But worse...a lot worse...she got into art a lot more. She started drawing to help with her panic attacks. And it worked. And she left California and came here. So I came with her because...I always felt like it was my fault. He was my best friend aside from her. And I couldn't let it happen to her again. But...I don't know..."

"This time it's my fault."

"Accidents happen. You should have said something to her though."

"I know....do you really think she'll want to give things another try?" He laughs in my face.

"Brendon. She's had a crush on you since she was thirteen. Trust me. She'll give you another chance. Just don't fuck this one up."

"I just wish she could forget what happened. I wish we could have a second chance at a first date. That was actually the longest night of my life."

"Whelp, she's really good at holding grudges. So good luck with that one buddy."

-2 days later-

I hear her take in a deep breath and her eyes start fluttering. I jump up and lean forward. I hope Davi-... Davey isn't mad that he's not here to see her wake up. She tries sitting up but winces and plops back down...her ribs...

"Asteria?" I say cautiously. I don't want to upset her...

She looks really confused but...amused? She's looking me up and down and I think she seems happy to see me! I might have another shot! But she also seems like she's in pain...

"Here...let me go get a doctor..." I rush out of the room to find her doctor. Davey is on his way back from the restroom.

"Davey! She's awake!" He freezes. "I'm getting her doctor!"

I find her a little further down the hall.

"She woke up! She's up! She's awake!" The doctor smirks at me.

"Someone's excited. Don't let her boyfriend find out."

"What?"

"That Superman looking guy."