A Vision With No Where To Go

Asteria:

My mind has shut down. I thought he died. I told myself he was dead and I'd never deal with him again. I don't know why I even care. I don't know what I'm doing. Everything is muffled. Every single sound. The entire phone call I just had. I hardly even remember it. I just know that I need to get out of this airport. The noises stay muffled once I'm outside. I have no idea what's happening to me.

"Asteria!" I hear someone shout and I turn to see Pete. He grabs my bag and loads it into his car, letting me in as soon as he's done. He runs to the driver's side and gets in. "I was calling you and calling you and you weren't responding! Is everything okay?"

Is everything okay? I don't know... I don't know if everything is okay anymore...

"I don't know," I answer quietly and honestly. "There's just a lot going through my head right now. I need to get home and take a bath."

He places a hand on my shoulder before driving and looks me in the eyes.

"You know you can talk to me." I nod and though his eyes plead for answers he puts the car in drive. 

"I can walk you to your apartment?" he offers once we're outside of my building. Before I can agree or disagree we see Davey waiting outside. Why is he here? "Or, I guess he'll take it from here right?"

I shrug and step out of the car. Davey rushes over to me.

"Hey, how are you? I got off the phone with Brendon a little while ago." That's why he's here. Of course that's why he's here. He wouldn't be if someone didn't make him.

"I'm fine. Thanks for the ride, Pete," I tell him as I give him a hug. He pats the top of my head and says goodbye before leaving. Davey stares, bewildered.

"Is that Pete Wentz? Wait, that's not the point. You don't look fine, Asteria."

"I just want to be alone."

"I don't think that's what's best for you right now, Asteria." He takes my bag and starts heading up to the apartment with me.

"No offense, but how would you know what's best for me? You haven't been around. You haven't called or texted or anything. You haven't even said hi to me when you've seen me on campus. You have no idea that I was in the hospital after the party. You have no idea why. You have no idea what kind of shit's been going through my head and you have no idea what's best for me." He stares at me, completely caught of guard and open mouthed. He looks down at the ground before answering.

"I just didn't know what to do."

"No. You got a girlfriend. This happens every time you get a girlfriend. You completely shut me out. I know we weren't on the best terms ever but it's not like I deserved to be completely abandoned!" We step out of the elevator and I continue, breathing heavily. "Your girlfriend is also the one friend that I made after you told me that I needed to find other friends because you were sick of taking care of me! But who the fuck took care of you, David?! Not once have you been sick without me taking care of you. I have never let you go through anything by yourself. We were friends. It wasn't like you were only taking care of me the whole time! And then you just disappear! After everything! I have no idea if you even know how weird you get when you get a girlfriend! It's like you see me as one until another one comes along!"

I didn't mean that. I don't know why I just said all of those things...I think I just destroyed the one friendship that was actually really important to me. He isn't even looking at me. He just keeps looking at the ground. He rubs the back of his neck the way he always does when he's stressed or irritated.