Chapter 4

Tobias POV

    I sit in my room. I can't do it. Not without her. I know she would want me to be strong, that she would want me to continue on without her... but it all just seems so impossible. She was my rock. All the memories, all the moments, everything. I can't help but think what if... what if she was still alive. I imagine her greeting me when we first got back, then maybe we would have stayed here and both got jobs...even started a family together. Or maybe we would go back to our city and if the factions were still in place we would both be Dauntless initiate trainers. I don't know what I'm going to do now, a future doesn't seem possible without her.

      Before I know it I'm running to get into a car and I'm on my way back to Chicago with a vial in my hand. I don't want to do this, but I know I can't live with the pain of all of this. Everywhere I look, I see her. Every single second she's on my mind. Maybe if I have a brand new start... things will be easier. I don't have to be Tobias Eaton, broken man. I can be Tobias Johnson, healed.

                                                                                          Tris POV

    I wake up. I'm all alone in this room, again. I sit up from the table, "AMARRRRRRRR" I yell out, I still can't believe what happened. I remember because of the pain in my sides, I see bandages on my arm too. I think of Tobias, how torn he was when he viewed my body. I'm a little thankful that I couldn't see him, because if I would have saw how broken he was.... I probably wouldn't be the same. "AMAR GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!" I'm not as dizzy so I get up and start pounding on the walls "AMAR I KNOW YOU SEE ME!!!!" Amar appears behind me, "Hello Tris." I charge at him again but he grabs me by the arms stopping me. "Tris stop. I know you're angry right now but don't take it out on me."

      I yell "Don't take it out on you? Don't take it out on you?" I laugh. "You just killed me off, none of my friends know I'm alive, my boyfriend just saw my dead body, you ruined my life and you don't want me to take it out on you." I try to breathe carefully, I don't want to cry in front of them. I try to push the image of Tobias out of my mind. I miss him so much.

      Amar sighs, "Tris.... I don't know what to tell you... I'm sorry for all of this." I can't help but laugh, "You're not sorry, you're allowing this to happen. You don't care about me, about Tobias." I spit the words out like venom. Amar looks down, I know Tobias is a soft spot for him. "Just.... come with me." He looks up at the camera and then the door opens. He grabs my arm and drags me down the stairs through a hallway. I look at him, "What is this?" Amar looks straight ahead, "Secret tunnel. Use it for purposes like this." How many times have they done this before?

      We go up some stairs into a room full of small televisions. I raise my eyebrow at Amar, "What are we doing here?" Amar looks straight into the TVs and starts messing with some dials. I look at the screen and it shows Tobias walking through Abnegation. I cry out, he looks horrible. Like he hasn't slept or eaten. I touch my hand to the screen, hoping he can feel my presence. I see him going into a house, his old house. The screen changes and it shows Tobias entering the house and then going upstairs. I look at Amar, "Why are there cameras in his house?" He's still looking at the screen, "Recently we installed secret cameras into important people's houses. There are some in your house too." I feel myself getting angry again, but I look at Tobias sitting on his bed and all my fades and is replaced with sadness.