Chapter 24

Tobias POV

"Tobias, I'm not dead." I replay her words in my head over and over. Trying to make sure I heard correctly, I've never been this confused before. Everything that happened after that was such a blur, all I could feel was my legs give out and I was on the floor. Then I looked down and felt a sharp pain in my arm. Tris quickly helped me, but I just can't say anything. This really can't be a dream because the pain feels so real. She hands me some pills and I automatically take them, she then sits next to me and I still can't help but stare.

   How is she not dead? I saw her body in the morgue, we all saw her body in the morgue. I felt how cold and stiff her body was, I know she wasn't breathing. I didn't hear a heartbeat, I didn't feel a pulse. There's no way she could possibly be alive, I really must be dead. Although I didn't know there would be pain in the afterlife, or that it would look just like regular life. I snap myself out of the thought, I probably don't have much time left with her. Her visits are never long.

   "You know, Caleb say that the mind-"

    She cuts me off instantly, "I tell you that I'm not dead and you want to tell me what Caleb says?"

    I feel my heart skip a beat again, she just said she wasn't dead. I shake my head, "Tris... how are you alive? I saw your body? You can't be alive.... I want you to be... I want you to be alive so bad... but you're not...."

   "Tobias I'm alive... the Bureau faked my death. I woke up and Amar told me-"

    I interrupt her now, "Amar? Amar knows you're dead too, we talked about this after you passed away." I don't want to say killed because all of the bad memories will come back again.

   She shakes her head, "Amar always knew I was alive, he was the one who told me that they faked my death. They gave me a serum, just like the one they gave me when I was in Erudite. To stop my heart, but with this serum I was still aware of everything and could think. Tobias I'm alive...."

    I don't know how to respond to that... Amar knew she was alive this whole time? I shake my head. No, Amar would tell me if Tris was alive, he wouldn't make me go through that pain.

    Tris takes my hand, "You told me that you needed me, that I needed to come back to you. That you wished that it was a nightmare or a stimulation, that you wanted to wake up and have everything normal. That you love me. That you didn't know a love like this was possible. You loved me the second you met me, the second our hands touched. You knew I was special, that I was unique. You said that to me when you came to see my body. I remember it Tobias..."

    I remember back to that day, and those were the words that I said. The exact words that I said...everything freezes again for me. Of course Amar could lie to me, he lied to me and others about his own death. Tris is alive. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest, I start to say her name as I pull her into my arms. Tris is alive, she's actually alive.

Tris POV

    He believes me, he finally believes me. I go into his arms and kiss him passionately. In that moment, love made sense. Everything was perfect, everything was normal. We were together again, no more secrets.