Chapter 15

Tris POV

    I slowly walk up the stairs, I know I shouldn't be nervous because I've been back on the regular floor before. I just know this time when I get up there, everything is going to be different. Tobias and everyone will be gone, I'll be able to come out of hiding and not have seal my identity. I take a deep breath, and open the door.

     Everything looks the same, but I can already tell the feeling is off. Bruno, Elena and I walk forward, I can't help but look inside the rooms and try to see if my friends are in there. I walk past the familiar hallways, hoping I'll see Tobias... to see Caleb... to see Christina. I try not to get my hopes ups, it sucks because they are all my family. To be without them... I don't know what I'm doing.

     I am walking past the statue that represented the Bureau, then all I hear my name being called. I look back and see him, Matthew. I run over and hug him, I can't help but start crying when I see him. He can't either, "Tris what happened? I thought.... I thought... what happened?" I just let his arms rest around me, Bruno arrives quickly behind me, "Tris what's going on? Are you okay?" I shake my head and look at Matthew, "I don't know Matthew, I just woke up and they had me here." Matthew holds me tighter, "I'm so sorry Tris.... I didn't know you-"

     Amar runs and pulls me away from Matthew, "Tris you weren't supposed to walk this far..." Matthew speaks up, "Amar why are you keeping her here? She's supposed to be dead.... And she's not. She needs to be with her family." I wipe my eyes, at least he understands. Amar shakes his head, "We're not going to discuss that right now Matthew, I suggest you drop this for the moment." I can see anger in Matthew's eyes... I rest my hand on his shoulder, nodding at him that it's going to be okay. I look over at Bruno and seeing a hint of jealousy in his eyes.

     I look at Amar, "I think me and Matthew are going to go on a little walk...." I can see Amar doesn't want me to go, but right now I feel that Matthew can understand me the most right now. I start walking down the hallway again and Matthew quickly follows my lead. I look back and see Amar glaring at me, I don't really care anymore so I roll my eyes and keep walking. I look at Matthew and see he's still shocked, I don't know what to tell him so we walk in silence for a while.

     We go back to his little office and he sits down, grabbing something to drink and chugging it down. We look at each other for a few moments, his eyes just getting wider and wider, looking like he just saw a ghost. I don't know how to start off the conversation, should I just be like 'Hey guess what I'm actually not dead!" or maybe 'I know this is strange but I'm just as surprised as you are.' He shakes his head and gets up, walking around me. He rubs the back of his neck, "Tris..."

     I don't know where to look so I hug him again, "Matthew.... I don't know what happened. I don't know why this is happening." He hugs me tight, "I thought you were dead...." I look him in the eyes, "So did I, but then I wake up and Amar is telling me I have to stay here." He shakes his head, "But Tobias... and your friends... they all think you're dead." I nod and look down, I feel comfortable being vulnerable around him, he was one of the first friends I made here. Matthew makes me look up at him, "It's going to be okay, we'll figure this out somehow." He smiles trying to reassure me, I try to return the smile but I know it doesn't look genuine.