Chapter 39

Tris POV

    I wake up in my room again, I must have fell asleep during the car ride home so Amar took me to bed. I sigh, yesterday was so perfect. I can still feel Tobias's arms around me. I lay in bed for a little longer, going over everything in my mind. Every word, every kiss, every touch. Sadness slowly creeps back to me, Tobias isn't going to remember any of it was real. He'll think it was a dream but he's going to slowly forget most of it. I couldn't tell him that because I knew if I did he would have drank the serum.

    Once I get changed I go to the control room. I see Amar there looking at the screens, I wave to him. I knew he would be here so I brought an extra muffin. Last night we had a long talk about everything, all of the pain that I've been going through, all the struggles he had to go through, everything. It actually made us a lot closer, I feel more comfortable with him now.

    "Feeling better this morning?" he asks

    I nod and take a bite of my muffin, picking off one of the chocolate chips on the top and throwing it at him, laughing. "What are you doing here anyway Amar, I figured you would be with George on his trip to the fringe."

    He throws a bigger crumb at me, "I let George go on this one alone, I figured I would stay back and see how you were doing this morning."

    We smile at each other, I look up at the screens "Anything interesting today?"

    He shakes his head, "We probably should have gave him some type of memory for yesterday because people are telling him he had the day off but in his mind he was working yesterday."

    I take another bite of my muffin, "We'll just have to be more careful next time, it's a work in progress." I shrug, I don't want to sound too serious about it.

    He spins in his chair, "I heard someone is looking for you this morning...."

    "What are you talking about Amar? Are they mad for me staying longer?" I say

    He keeps spinning so I put my foot out to stop him, he looks at me. "It's someone and not a they."

    I raise my eyebrow at him and get up, "What are you talking about?"

    He opens his mouth ready to talk but stops, he smiles at me flashing his teeth, "Just go talk to Bruno."

    I roll my eyes, "I swear this boy...." I say as I start to walk away.

    I start walking the compound, I have no idea where Bruno would be this early. I keep eating my muffin when I spot Elena, she runs up to me and hugs me. Before she can ask me anything I ask her where Bruno is. She is taken back that I asked her but she fixes her composure and tells me that he's looking for me. She think she last saw him by the cafeteria. I thank her and start walking that way, I just want to get this over with.

    Right as I'm about to turn the corner to get to the hallway the cafeteria is in I hear my name, I look back and see Bruno standing there. I slowly walk towards him, I don't know what he's going to tell me. He hugs me but I stiffen up, I laugh because there are still moments where my Abnegation shows. I look at him and see he's not in a good mood. "Let's take a walk Tris..." I nod and follow his lead.

    We go outside the building and sit on one of the benches outside. He turns his body towards me, "So how was seeing your boyfriend yesterday." I can tell by his voice he's angry, "I don't know what your problem is, but that's none of your concern." He sighs, "Tris I don't want to make you upset, but you know things aren't going to work out that way. I don't want you getting hurt, I don't want you to have false hope either." I can feel myself getting angry, "Bruno again it is none of your concern." I have to watch my words around him, I don't want to lose him as a friend.

    He nods, "I'm just looking out for you Tris... I'm being honest with you too. It isn't going to work out, so maybe it would be better for you to look for someone here..." as he's saying here he slowly slides his hand closer to mine then holds it. I look at it for a moment and slowly pull it back, "Bruno.... I'm still in love with Tobias... I can't... just not right now. I don't know if they'll ever let me go back, but I know with time I'll start to move on."

    "That's all I ask Tris, just know that you deserve to be happy.... And I could make you happy." He slowly gets up and walks away.