Chapter 16

Tobias POV

A Few Days Later.

I wake up again, Tris. Every single day I wake up I think she's going to be there. I haven't had another dream about her since that night but I try to stay hopeful. I know she'll come back to me sooner or later. I can't control my dreams like I hoped to, so maybe my mind just shows me things I really want to see. I try not to get my hopes up every morning, but I just can't help it. I slowly lay back down in my bed, today I have a meeting with Johanna Reyes, I didn't really want to attend but she said it was it was urgent I be there.

   Today I also choose where I want to live, everyone wants to live in town but I think I want something more private again. Since I'm one of the first people back I get first pick, so I have a lot of options on where I could possibly live. Also today is job choosing day, since there are no factions we all get regular jobs to support our lives. I have a lot of options, George was talking to me about getting a job on the police force, a typical Dauntless job. I also heard that there were some jobs offered in the Bureau, but Amar told me it would be better for me to stay in the city with everyone instead of community like he does.

Tomorrow we're going to spread Uriah's ashes in the chasm, I believe he would have wanted that. I shut my eyes, I already know what comes next. Thinking about Tris and how she would want her funeral to happen. I don't think I'm ready for this yet, I don't know if I'll ever be ready. Her ashes are still in the morgue, I visited them one more time before I left since I didn't know the next time I would go back there. We never really talked about what happens if one of us were to pass away, it never really seemed possible. The only time we talked about it was after she came back from the Erudite, how she didn't want to leave me..... I yell her name again and cry out, she never wanted to leave me.

Tris POV

Me and Matthew talked for a while, helping him process everything and put missing puzzle pieces together. I talked to Amar shortly after that to persuade him to let Matthew keep his memory, Amar claims that it never crossed his mind to mess with Matthew's memory, but I have a feeling Amar wouldn't have a problem to alter it. I've spent the last few nights in the room I shared with Tobias the last time I saw him, the sheets still smell like him. It's the only thing I have left of him, I'm so scared that they will fade soon.

After I was released back into the public things have gotten a little overwhelming at times. I'm still viewed as a hero to some people, for being courageous in the battle of Chicago. Fighting for GD equality and for wanting a normal society. All of the GD's now have the same privileges as GPs. I actually seen David yesterday, it took everything I had not to attack him... he is part of the reason why I'm in this mess. If he didn't try to kill me I would be with Tobias and my friends right now.

I'm walking back to my room when Amar grabs my arm, "I need to talk to you now Tris." He doesn't look in a good mood so my heart starts racing again. Is Tobias okay, are my friends safe, did I do something wrong? He drags me down a hall into the camera room again, I personally spend as much time here as I can just so I can watch Tobias.

He sits down with me and points to a screen with Zeke on it. "Tomorrow they are going to spread Uriah's ashes..."

I can feel my heart get weak, Uriah didn't deserve any of this either, he didn't deserve to die. I close my eyes before I can say something I'll regret later.

"I know you were close with Uriah before his passing... I'm not really allowed to do this but I thought it would be good if you and I went to go send him off with the rest of them."

I look at him, I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to go see everyone, but how am I going to do it if I'm supposed to be dead... Amar must take notice to my expression change because he goes on to say, "They are releasing his ashes in the chasm, the chasm as you know is very big so we could blend in with the shadows and watch."

I hug Amar, even though I don't particularly like him... but he's been there for me since all of this happened, giving me all these chances to see everyone again.