Chapter 17

Tobias POV

I sit in Johanna's office, not sure whether to be nervous or not. Right now is the time when I should be looking into different kinds of jobs available, and thinking about where I'm going to live. My left leg shakes up and down, the anticipation is driving me crazy. As if I didn't have a hectic mind, seeing someone in government doesn't make it easier. Seeing her sit behind the desk reminds me of David, and how much I wanted to kill him. I never had that strong of an urge to hurt someone ever... well not since Tris was attacked at Dauntless. I squeeze my eyes shut trying to forget the memory.

  Johanna clears her throat, "You know things get easier..."

  I open my eyes, "What are you talking about?"

Johanna stands up and sits in the chair right next to me, "I can see it, in your eyes, in your actions, in your words." She takes my hand, I grunt because I know it's another person trying to comfort me. As if I didn't have enough people trying to make me feel better. She sighs, she probably knows what I'm thinking, "I don't want to dwell too much about it, that's not why I had you come meet with me today. Just know it's going to take time, there's going to be a lot of hard days but don't ignore the good days."

  She smiles at me, I hate that she's always right. She always knows what to say to people, I guess it's the Amity of her. I nod back in agreement, I don't want to admit she's right. She nods back and lets go of my hand, getting up to return to her seat behind her desk. She pulls her hair back, revealing her scar. Tris was right, it did make her look stronger. I guess that's what scars do, they make you stronger. They remind you of everything you've been through, all the hard times.

  She folds her hands in front of her, "I can see you're still wearing faction colors."

I look down at my clothes, "Oh, I didn't really notice I was wearing Dauntless colors, I just put on clothes"

She raises her eyebrows, "I know it's going to be different not being in factions, but like I said change comes with time."

I feel myself tense up again, I hate how the little things get me. I stand up quickly, I don't want to be in this room anymore, and even though Johanna is right I'm just not ready to face all of this. I'm not ready to be comforted, I'm not ready to face people. Johanna gets up, "Wait Tobias, I'm sorry if I said something that offended you. Just give me five minutes. "I try to relax, I just feel like I'm about to explode. I'm not ready for change, I'm not even sure I wanted change to happen. I don't want to get over the past, I don't want to move forward.

I see Johanna pouring some type of drink, she offers it to me and I really don't want to take it, but something in me decides to take it anyway. The second I feel it touch my lips I can feel myself relaxing more and more. I raise my eyebrows to her, "I assume you put some peace serum into this." She laughs, "I knew keeping some would come in handy sooner or later, but don't worry you won't be loopy as Tris-" I can feel a stab of pain when she says her name, but the serum is fighting the pain. She continues, "I know it would be better for you to be relaxed during this conversation instead of being all stressed."

I nod and rest back in my chair, "So what did you want to talk to me about Johanna?"

She clasps her hands together, "Well I've been thinking a lot lately about this government job, as you know I'm now in a position of power. During Allegiant you prove yourself to not only me but to a lot of other people as a person who can take charge. Your skillset in Dauntless and the vibe you give off to people... it would be very good in this office."

I raise my eyebrow, "What are you trying to say Johanna? Are you offering me some type of position here?"

She smiles big, "If you decide to take it, I can start you off as an assistant then you can work your way up."

I think over for a second, I don't want to go back to Dauntless and relive all those memories and I don't want to become someone who researches stuff. I want to live a life where I don't have to deal with guns, where I could use my words to make a difference. I don't know if it's the serum or if it's my mood, but I smile at her "I would be honored to be your assistant and work in the government."

She smiles back, "You're going to do great things here Tobias."

I stand up, "I believe I will, but right now I think I'll go act as the Amity."

She laughs as she shakes my hand, "Oh really, are you going to go start a garden?"

I smile, and for the first time I feel like my smile is genuine. "Actually I was thinking of planting a garden and skipping around the place. Peace be with you Johanna."

She nods at me, "And peace be with you as well Tobias."

A/N; This chapter is dedicated to @fandom4546 for all the support they've shown for this story so far! It seriously means a lot to me when I get feedback about the stories I write!

On a side note don't forget to check out my other stories! Especially my newest story 'Mr. James' !!! Leave feedback and let me know what you would LOVE to see happen in them!

<4