Chapter 12

Tobias POV

     I been going over this in my head for the past few hours. It's all I can think about. How did that note get there? There wasn't no signature or anything, but I know the two people I said those words to were to Peter and Tris. One of them can't remember that and the other one is dead. None of this makes sense, maybe it's not supposed to make sense. I try to think the likely hood of a ghost coming into my room and leaving me the message, but I don't fully buy the ghost story stuff.

     We're all in a van being transported back to Chicago, I look at everyone's faces and see different reactions. Caleb looks knowledge hungry, like he's going to a new world and ready to learn everything about it. Zeke and his mom still look like they're in mourning, but ready to go to the comforts of their own home. Christina looks excited, like this is another new adventure. Myself, well I look like crap.

     Amar nudges my shoulder, "You look better today Four, did you get a good night's sleep?"

     I tense up automatically, I didn't really expect someone to notice how I was today. I still don't want to tell them about Tris just yet, God, just thinking her name makes me tense up even more. I shake my head, "Yeah, being in an actual bed seemed to do the trick."

     Amar slightly frowns, maybe he was expecting to hear something better from me. He's been watching out for me ever since Tris was killed. I'm used to it though, with him being my initiation instructor he had to watch me before. Especially since I was Divergent... or so we thought I was. So it's kind of like old times with him, it doesn't bother me as much when he checks in on me. I can tell Amar is watching how I'm acting, I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad thing right now, I mean I feel like I can still trust him but should I trust him after all he's done to me.

     I turn my body towards him, "Amar, I need to ask your opinion about something."

    That gets his attention, he turns to me quickly. "What's the problem?"

    I shake my head, "Do you believe in ghosts?"

    He thinks for a few moments. "I guess I would say I do. I mean something has to happen to us after we go... Why do you ask Four?"

    It feels like the note in my pocket is burning a hole through me, like everyone can see it. "Do you think ghosts can visit us in our dreams?"

    He looks me in the eye. "Yeah I assume so, I used to have some dreams about my family when they went into the next life."

    I nod and lean back in my seat. I guess I'm not the only one who has been through this. It still doesn't explain the note though.

    He scoots closer to me, "You had a dream about Tris didn't you?"

    I squeeze my eyes shut, just because I asked for his opinion doesn't mean I wanted to talk about it. I nod my head, keeping my eyes shut. I notice that my hands are in fists again, I hate how easily this all still affects me.

     Amar pats my back, "Is it the first dream you had about her?"

     I nod again, not trusting myself to talk.

     I can hear Amar softly kick something on the floor, "Well if that makes you feel better I hope you have more dreams. I guess you should cherish them and keep positive. Just remember it's just a dream"

     I'm surprised by his words so I open his eyes. He has one eyebrow raised at me, he must know more than what I think. I nod and close my eyes, blocking out any thoughts or hope that I once had.