What was that?

3rd person POV

Ace, Whitebeard and a doctor all stood outside of Aoi's room.

"What happened, Ace?" The doctor asked. Ace shook his head.

"We were training as we always were. Everything seemed fine then she just suddenly dropped to her knees, holding her head like she was in pain." Ace explained.

"What caused this?" Whitebeard asked. The doctor put a hand to his chin in thought.

"I wonder if this might have something to do with her voice." He said.

"Her voice? But she's mute?" Ace said. The doctor shook his head.

"She's only mute as of recent. I took a look at her vocal chords. She used to be able to speak." The doctor said. Ace was confused.

"Then what caused her to stop talking?" Ace asked. The doctor shook his head.

"It's a form of trauma. Her voice hasn't been gone long." The doctor said.

"Any idea when it might come back?" Whitebeard asked. The doctor shook his head.

"It could take until she wakes up." Ace felt his heart rise in excitement. "Or it may never come back at all." And he felt it drop in to his gut in disappointment.

"What ever trauma she's experienced will have to fade from her system before she can speak again. I believe the trauma may have to do with how you found her, Ace." The doctor said.

"Either marines, or the ocean then." Ace muttered to himself.

"What was that?" Whitebeard asked. Ace shook his head.

"Nothing. I'm gonna go sit with her." He said and slipped in to the room, leaving Whitebeard and the doctor to talk. He knew he should try to find out more, but he felt guilty.

"I pushed her too hard. If I had taken it slower... Shit, what if she dies from this? Aoi... I'm so sorry." He thought, staring down at her sleeping face. Her chest rose and fell with each breath she took. He gently took her hand in to his. He ran his thumb across the back of her hand. Her hand twitched in responce, as if she were trying to hold his hand.

Ace sighed to himself as he watched her. She was really pretty. Especially when she slept.

That thought made Ace feel like a stalker, so he thought about how she looked when she was awake.

Her sky blue hair that just touched her waist and the way it shifted around her face while she walked or deflected his attacks durning training. The small smirk that was always on her lips without her realizing it. And the way her jade orbs followed his movements gave him chills.

"What is with me?" Ace thought to himself. He looked at her sleeping face again. She looked so peaceful.

Ace's POV

I sighed lightly as I watched her sleep peacefully. What could have possibly traumatized her enough to cause her voice to lock itself? And what was this feeling I had when I was around her?

The knowing looks she always gave me. The way she knew what to write. How she positioned my head in her lap so I was comfortable when my narcolepsy triggered. It was almost like she had known me since we were kids.

I shook my head and rested my head on her stomach. She was really soft. I felt her breathing gently. I closed my eyes as my narcolepsy triggered.

I was awoken abruptly when her whole body jolted. I sat up and looked at her. Sweat beaded her head and her teeth clentched. A tear slipped through her closed lids and her mouth opened, a rasp escaped her throat as if she were trying to scream. She was having a nightmare. I had to wake her!