Her Birthday.

Aoi's POV

I slumped on my knees, panting heavily. Marco and I had been going at it for an hour and I was already exhausted. He wasn't even breaking a sweat. Marco was a lot harder to fight than Ace, even when he was holding back. If I continued to train with Marco like this, then soon, Ace and I would be evenly matched in full strength.

But until then, my body fucking hurt.

I groaned and flopped on my back, knees still bent behind me. I was a lot more flexible since starting training with Ace and even more so now with Marco.

"You alright there, Aoi?" Marco asked. I nodded and sat back up on my knees.

"Yeah... Let's go again." I said, standing up. My legs and arms were shaking from soreness. Marco shook his head at me.

"Why don't you rest for the remainder of the day?" Marco asked.

"N-no. I gotta push past... My limits if I'm g-gonna... Get st-stronger." I huffed and stuttered out. Marco shook his head again.

"I'd say you're well past your limit. What are you gonna tell Ace when he asks why you're so sore?" Marco asked. I stopped for a second.

"Headache?" I tried.

"Your body won't be this sore because of a headache. Not to mention you'll be in pain the whole day tomorrow." Marco pointed out.

"I was too stiff while studying medical procedures today, then. And then I got a massive headache to top it off." I said. Marco sighed.

"Well, I guys he would believe that." Marco said. I smiled.

"So... Keep going?" I asked. Marco shook his head. I huffed.

"Go get some rest, Aoi. You need it." Marco insisted, helping me to my feet. The soreness in my legs and the ache in my arms told me he was right. I walked back to the room I was temporarily sharing with Ace, a little grateful that he had his own bathroom. I grabbed my change of cloths and got myself a nice hot shower. After drying myself off, I curled up under the covers of the bed and scrunched myself in to a tiny ball for warmth.

I closed my eyes and listened to my heart beat as I slowly drifted off to sleep. I continuously slipped in and out of sleep. I heard the door open, but I didn't have any energy to raise my head to see who was there. I knew it was either Ace or Marco anyways.

"Headache?" I heard Ace murmur softly as to not cause me more pain.

"And I got a little too stiff while studying medical procedures, so I'm going to be in pain tomorrow." I grumbled lowly. I felt warm arms wrap around me.

"This should help." He murmured. I slowly stretched out, taking in his warmth.

"Yeah... A little." I murmured tiredly.

"Wait! Before you fall asleep, I need you to look at something!" Ace said. I groaned.

"I hurt everywhere, Ace." I said.

"I'll carry you! Come on!" He said. I sighed. I sat up and he let me climb on his back. I immediately burried my face in his neck, closing my eyes, intending to sleep on his back.

I suddenly felt heat increase on my thighs, to the point where it hurt. I jolted straight up on Ace's back.

"Ow!" I yelped. He stopped trying to boil me with a smirk.

"Stay awake, this is the only time we are doing this." He said.

"We?" I asked. We stepped out on to the deck.

"Happy Birthday, Aoi!" The whole crew greeted me. From Ace's back, I stared in shock and felt a small blush rise to my cheeks. Everyone cheered for me and I saw Marco grinning at me.

He knew. The asshole knew about this. That's why he didn't push me further than he did.

I felt tears prick at my eyes and roll down my cheeks at the sight.

"You okay?" Ace asked in worry. I raised my arm to my eyes and wiped my tears away, the soreness forgotten by the sweet gesture made by my new family.

"Yeah... Thank you all, so much." I said, smiling at them with tears still rolling down my cheeks.

"Thank Ace, it was his idea to celebrate your birthday. After all, it's your first time celebrating with us." Thatch said. I chuckled and nodded in agreement.

"Then let's start this party!" Ace cheered. I laughed at him and slid off his back, forgetting my soreness and partying with my adopted family. I began to sing and everyone danced to my upbeat singing. I was singing Celebration by Kool & The Gang. Everyone danced and laughed with my singing. After the song was done, everyone continued to laugh and party, getting drunk and having a good time. Marco and Thatch gave me the cake to blow out the candles, telling me to make a wish.

I closed my eyes to make a wish.

"I wish to get strong enough to protect Ace and save him." I wished in my head and blew out the candles. Ace wrapped an arm around my waist as I sat back down, eatting a small piece of cake as I was more of a cookie person rather than cake.

"So what did you wish for?" He asked, taking his entire slice in his mouth. I giggled at him.

"If I told you, then it wouldn't come true." I said. He swollowed his cake.

"So you're not going to tell anyone?" He asked.

"I will when it comes true." I said. He smiled at me, making my heart skip a beat. The night was drawing to a close and everyone headed in for the night, including me and Ace.

I cuddled against the beautiful man. He kept an arm around my waist, keeping me warm. I smiled as his soft snores filled the room.

"I love you." I whispered and closed my eyes, slowly falling asleep.