His Birthday.

Aoi's POV

I ran my hand through my hair. A new year's celebration. Filled with more drinking and goofing around than Christmas. Though in about two hours, Ace would be nineteen. And I would give him the gift I meant to give him for Christmas.

Here's the problem, I couldn't find my walking heater anywhere. And not only did that mean I couldn't give him his gift, but my ass was starting to freeze. Quite litterally.

Thankfully, Marco had drapped another blanket around my shoulders to help me hide the embarrassing freeze. Also explaining to me that Ace was normally alone at this time for his own personal reasons. I frowned.

I wish I could help him. I said. Marco sighed, taking another drink.

"Trust me, Aoi. We all do. But sometimes it's better to just let him be." He said. I nodded, still wishing I could help him. I could feel Marco looking at me from the corner of his eyes.

"You're going to go track him down and try to help him, aren't you?" He asked. I thought for a moment.

Track him down, yes. Force my help on to him, no. As you said, sometimes it's better to just let things be. But that's not going to stop me from keeping him company. No one deserves to be alone at this time. I said.

"You sure are persistent, aren't you?" He asked with a sigh. I smiled at him.

That's one word for it. I said and stood up, starting my search for my friend.

I walked around for about an hour before I found him at the very back of the ship, staring up at the sky. His hat was off, though he had found it a few days back. His hair fell around his forehead, making him look even more attractive than normal. I shook myself to get me to stop stairing at him.

"A-ack?" I coughed out. Ace didn't respond, completely lost in thought. I didn't want to disturb him, but my feet were solid ice as was my right hand. I walked up behind him, paining me to do so. I gently touched his arm with my frozen hand. He looked down, staring at my ice hand for a moment before things clicked.

His eyes widened and he looked up at me. He gasped in suprise, seeming unfazed by my worry filled gaze.

"Aoi! Oh, god, I'm so sorry!" He said, pulling me against his chest. I drew a silent gasp as we were suddenly so close. I felt my cheeks heat up with blush. Ever since I admitted to Marco that I had fallen head over heels for Ace, every time Ace and I were this close I got nervous.

Ace rubbed my arms in hopes to warm me up more. I carefully wrapped my arms around his warm body. He held the blanket on my shoulders up. We pulled away and he wrapped me tightly in the blanket, then wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Better?" He asked me. I nodded, cuddling against him.

"I'm so sorry I abandoned you. I just..." He stopped, unsure of how to continue. I looked up at him, worry in my eyes again.

Are you okay, Ace? You seem off. I said. He sighed and rested his chin on my head.

"Yeah, just... A lot on my mind." He said. I sighed.

Tell me. I said. He shook his head.

"I don't want to bother you with it." He said.

I won't be bothered. Besides, it might help you to get it off your chest. I said. I felt his grip tighten around me.

"It's stupid. Don't worry about it." He said. I frowned. I wanted to push further, but that would risk pushing him away from me.

If you say so. But promise me you'll come talk to me if you ever need to talk about it? I asked. He stared at me for a while.