Rouge

Aoi's POV

I swollowed hard again.

"I-I'm sorry." I said, forcing myself to look away.

"Oh! Are you just very shy?" She asked. I decided to go with that and nodded. I mean, what else was I supposed to do? Standing right in front of me was my dead-future-mother-in-law. She gave me a kind smile.

"What's you're name?" She asked me.

"A-Ann." I lied.

"Well, hello, Ann. My name is Rouge! It's nice to meet you! I've never seen you around here before. Have you recently moved here?" She asked me.

"N-no. My fiancé and I got lost as we were wandering. We kinda just found ourselves here." I said.

"Oh? You're fiancé?" She asked. I nodded.

"He's a very kind man. But he can be a little reckless. Every time he comes home, his shirt is all torn up. So I decided to grab some while we were here." I said.

"Oh, where is he?" She asked.

"He's waiting for me out in the forest." I said.

"The forest? Why?" Rouge asked me, curiosity sparkling in her eyes.

"We're more likely to be recognized together rather than alone. He and I aren't exactly popular in a good way." I said.

"Are you bandits?" Rouge asked, inching away from me. I shook my head.

"We're... Uh... Never mind. I need to pay for the clothes and get back to my fiancé." I said.

"Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hold you up!" She said.

"Oh, no it's fine! It was nice talking to you, Miss Rouge." I said and went to pay for the shirts. I went for my wallet but.... I couldn't find it. I searched my bag, patted my pockets, checked every where.

"No no no! Did my wallet get swiped?! This isn't good!" I said, continuing to search for my wallet.

"Here, I got it." I looked up and was surprised to see Rouge pay for the shirts.

"Miss Rouge! You don't need to do that!" I protested.

"No, I don't mind. Plus you should expect your wallet to be swiped, roaming through the forest. You can repay me by bringing your fiancé to my home and resting there." She said with a smile.

"Unless you're a marine." She murmured quietly to me. I glared at the ground.

"I would never lower myself to being a marine." I growled. I took the bag of shirts and Rouge and I walked out together.

"So you're not a bandit, you're not a marine, you don't look like a merchant. So what are you and you're fiancé? Bounty hunters? Mercenaries?" She asked. I shook my head.

"We're..." I looked around to make sure no one else was listening. "We're pirates." I said quietly.

"Oh? What crew do you belong to?" She asked.

"We don't." I said.

"Oh?" She asked.

"Well, we used to, but our ship wrecked on the bluffs on an island a few months ago. If anyone else survived, we never found them, so my fiancé and I have just been roaming around, looking for a place to settle down. Or even a new crew to join if we can't shake the marines." I lied.

"Hmm... Maybe... Nah, it's silly. And maybe wishful thinking on my part." She said.

"Hm? What is it, Miss Rouge?" I asked. She smiled softly.

"Well... My lover is going to be here later... And... Well, I think you should meet him." She said. My heart leapt.

"Shit! What do I do?! If I refuse she'll be suspicious, but if I go, shit might break out between Ace and Roger. Ace could accidentally reveal we are from the future. I mean, yeah, eventually we'll have to tell them. But not so soon!" I internally panicked.

"Are you sure?! I-I mean, I don't want to impose!" I said. Rouge grabbed my arm.

"I insist! You want to repay me for the clothes, don't you? Then come to my home and meet my lover, and bring your finacé!" She said. I swollowed hard.

"W-well, when you put it like that, I can't say no, can I?" I said.

"Nope! I live just on the outskirts of town. Right up there." She pointed to a small house on a hill. I nodded.

"Alright, I'll go gather my fiancé and we'll meet you there." I said. With that, we separated. Me back to Ace and Rouge went home.

"Okay, so we are approximately 20-21 years in the past, pending if Rouge is pregnant right now or not. And we are on the island of Baterilla. And I'm about to go and introduce Ace to his parents while lying about who we are." I thought. I sighed as I got closer. I heard a snore coming from my destination and sweatdropped.

"Well, at least he stayed put." I thought. I knelt down by my fiancé and shook his shoulder.

"Aah?" He yawned as he woke up. I plopped the three men's shirts in his lap.

"Put on one of these and get ready. I just got a guess of how far back we are." I said. Ace stood up and pulled on the red shirt.

"Damn he looks hot with a shirt on. Bet that shirt would look better on my floor." I thought. I shook the thought from my head and pulled on the dress shirt.

"So how far back are we?" He asked.

"About 20-21 years." I said. He whistled.

"How do you know? I mean, how are you sure?" He asked.

"... I.... Kinda just..." I hesitated. I felt his eyes on me.

"Aoi?" He asked. "You don't have to hide it from me, you know." He said. I swollowed hard for the billionth time today.

"I kinda.... Met your mom..." I said. He froze.

"M-my.... Mom?" He asked. I nodded.

"I met her in the shop I bought these from." I said. Ace grabbed me by the shoulders and made me look at him.

"What's she like? Did you talk to her? Is she pretty?" He asked. I was shocked. Excitement was glittering on his eyes.

"Ace! Stop shaking me!" I said.

"Oh, sorry." He said, setting me down.

"Yes, I did talk to her. She's very sweet but she has an element of sass. And yes, she is very pretty." I said. Ace sighed.

"Man. I wish I could meet her." He said.

"Wish granted." I said. He stared at me.

"What?" He asked.

"I may or may not have left my wallet in the present- future? And so she kinda paied for the shirts for me and she said that if I wanted to repay her then I had to bring you to her home so she could meet you." I said. He stared at me and I watched emotions swirl in his eyes.

"Aoi. You lectured me on the dangers of the past..." He said.

"I know, I know. But as long as we hold back the truth for as long as possible, we should be able to leave with out fucking things up. I'll see it if we do." I said. Ace relaxed.

"Well... Alright. I did say I wanted to meet my mother." He said.

"That's... Not all..." I said. He looked over at me.

"What do you mean "that's not all"? Why do I have the feeling that I'm not gonna like your answer to that?" He asked.

".... Your dad is gonna be there, too."