Broken Hearts

Steve Rogers sat in his apartment, his hands covering face. Infront of him was his sketch book and the list of things that Clara said he needed to catch up on. The sketch book was open to a recent drawing that Steve did of Clara. It was how he had saw her last. Clara was standing in her hospital gown, gripping the IV stand. Tears ran down her face, her choppy hair a mess. There was pain in her eyes as she looked at him.

Steve looked up, his eyes were red as he stared at the drawing. It had been a few weeks since the...breakup and his heart was still raw. Ever since he has realised what he had done, he had been cursing himself out (well...not with actual bad words). He has a filter, so why didn't he use it that day?

Clara stared back at him, and her voice echoed in his head, "I never want to see you again, Steve." He had hurt her. He had hurt her bad and destroyed something good. The Captain stood up and walked away from Clara's portrait.

Just as he got up, there was a knock on his door. His eyebrows furrowed and wiped his face before walking over. Rogers opened the door to reveal...no one. He looked down both sides of the hallway and that's when he saw the envelope.

Laying on the ground was a thin, grey colored envelope. In a very familiar script was written "Captain Steven Rogers". Steve leaned down and picked up the letter in shaking hands. He walked back inside and shut the door behind him. The Captain carefully tore open the envelope and inside was a small piece of paper with an address scrawled on it.

Peggy Carter's address, to be exact.

-

It was probably a terrible idea to help Steve out by giving him Peggy's address, but Clara told herself that she did it more her Aunt Peggy than she did for Steve. That's what she kept repeating to herself on the plane ride to Malibu.

She had only been out of the care of SHIELD doctors for a week. Clara, after the horrible break-up, still had to continue her stay will she recovered. The young Stark didn't tell her brother that she and Steve had ended on such bad terms and had left her phone in New York. Clara had checked it before she left and there was no less than a hundred missed calls from Natasha and Clint, as well as from Steve. She never called back and just left her phone on the counter.

"Clara," Pepper said softly, drawing her out of her thoughts, "Are you alright?" Clara looked over to Tony, who was passed out in his seat and debated whether or not to tell her. She eventually sighed and gave in.

"No not really. I, uh, broke up with Steve, Pep." Clara looks out the private jet's window. Pepper's eyes softened and she frowned, tucking a strawberry blonde piece of hair behind her ear.

"Oh Clara, I'm so sorry. He seemed like a nice guy." Pepper reached out and put her hand on Clara's. The younger woman shook her head and looked at her brother's girlfriend.

"Don't be sorry. He's a dick." Clara told her bluntly. The girl's blue eyes were as cold as the ice she controlled. "I'm sad to say Tony was right...You can't tell him, Pepper." She quickly said and put her hand ontop of Pepper's and held it. The coldness in Clara's eyes melted away.

"Why don't you want me to tell him?" Pepper said slowly and softly, her thumb rubbing the back of Clara's hand. The Avenger glanced at her brother and inhaled sharply.

"Because he would want the full story and when he hears it, Tony's going to fly back to New York and kick Steve's ass." Clara smiled for a moment and chuckled, "Maybe I should tell Tony."

-

"What did you do to Clara?" Natasha asked, her voice echoing in the empty SHIELD training room as she walked in. Steve couldn't look at her as he wrapped his hands. Natasha crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at him angrily. Clint came in after her, not looking much happier. They both glared at the Captain. He finally looked up at the both of them, sighing.

"We ended our relationship...Well she ended it." Steve told them. Their angry looks didn't fade.

"And why did she end it?" Clint questioned, crossing his arms over his chest. Steve looked back down at his hands.

"We got into a fight over what happened with the mission. I-I said somethings I shouldn't have and she told me she never wanted to see me again." It hurt his heart to tell them what happened and he could Clara's words again. "So just leave. And you know what, you can go fuck yourself."

"What. Did. You. Say?" Natasha gritted out, walking towards him slowly. Clint stood behind her, not stopping her.

"What the Hell did you say to her?" Clint barked. Steve stood up and looked at the two agents. "You know, I thought you were different." His own words popped up in his head. And that's when Steve Rogers snapped again.

"I told her the truth, Barton. I told her that what I originally thought of her was right. Clara just like her brother. Just as volatile and just as selfish." Steve snapped at them, his filter once again gone. Natasha became even more angry and stepped forward. Without missing a beat, Natasha punched Steve hard in the face.

-

Clara walked into the lab, trying to focus on a tablet infront of her. They had been in Malibu for a few days, yet Clara still had not told her brother about the break up. The younger sibling had been debating whether or not to tell her brother, but she had finally made up her mind and today she was going to tell her brother.

"Anthony, we need to talk." Clara announced as she walked further into the room. He looked up from fixing the head of one of his suits.

"Alright, about what sis?" He asked, popping a nearby frozen blueberry into his mouth. Clara sat infront of him at one of the cluttered tables. She put the tablet she held on an empty space on the table.

"Steve and I...kind of...broke up." Clara told him, looking at her older brother. Tony nodded.

"Who called it quits?"

"I did." Clara responded and Tony raised an eyebrow as he popped a few more blueberries into his mouth.

"Why?" He asked, testing the subject. Clara bit the inside of her cheek. "You know, I thought you were different from your brother, but I was wrong. You are just like him. Only out for each other." His voice told her in her head.

"Back when I was in the hospital, he was forced to visit me because he was still pissed at me for doing that mission alone. So we got into an argument and I told him I don't follow orders since I'm no longer a soldier and he," Clara stops, swallowing hard, "He compared me to Dad and to Peggy. Pretty much told me how they were so much better than me, and I yelled at him that I'm not them. I told him to get out. That I never wanted to see him again and when he didn't move, I through the flowers you got me at him." Clara didn't notice until she stopped talking that tears were running down her face. "You were right. We shouldn't have dated."

"That asshole." Tony growled. He stood up and walked over to his sister. The Iron Man pulled his sister into his arms. "I'm going to kick his star spangled ass."

-

LONG CHAPTER!!!