Ocean

The story broke on Christmas Day.

It seemed like every news source had some version of the story, but they all had one thing in common: Somehow, they made Clara the bad guy. Many articles talked about how Clara had a mental breakdown and what she was talking about was nonsense. Some "sources" said that Clara had been drinking heavily since she came home.  So as Clara's past were scrutinized in the news, Steve was still America's Golden Boy.

And no one was happy about that.

Clara, Tony, Happy, Bruce, and Pepper had a quiet Christmas together, ignoring that Clara was being bashed in the media. Natasha went with Clint to go spend Christmas with his family. Thor was in Asgard. And Steve, well Steve was in a hotel room. Tony had thrown him out after Clara stormed out. He spent Christmas alone, staring at the damn diamond ring.

That was, until his phone buzzed with a notification. It was a time and place to meet.

And it was from Clara.
-

Clara sat in a booth of a diner, waiting for Steve. She was dressed down, wearing leggings and a ugly Christmas sweater even though Christmas was a few days ago. She also wore her RayBans, but those were now on the table. Clara hummer along to whatever song was playing throughout the dinner as she stirred her tea. And she didn't look up when Steve slid into the booth, a black coffee already in front of him.

"Did you realize that on the day that I caught you and Sharon, it was the two year anniversary of the day the baby died?" Clara suddenly spoke bluntly. Steve's head shot up and looked at Clara, who was still stirring her tea, "Well of course you didn't. You were too busy getting head from Sharon."

"N-No. I didn't realize that it was the..anniversary." Steve responded awkwardly. The never talked about the baby. They rarely talked about that day two years ago.

"See it's okay if my thoughts are jumbled, because they have actually been burned out of my mind and they are slowly coming back, but you don't have an excuse." She sipped her tea, "Y'know I'm not surprised you cheated on me with Sharon and I'm not surprised that she fucked you. She's hated me since Aunt Peggy introduced us to one another and that's only because I never had to work for Peggy's love."

"Clar-" Steve tries to cut in, but Clara's head snaps up. It was the first time she had looked at him since Christmas Eve.

"I wasn't finished speaking, Rogers." Clara snapped coldly before continuing, "It was very well known that I was Peggy's favorite. Sharon hated me for it. You two are so so so lucky that Peggy isn't actively reading the news-Oh wait, no, I'm lucky. Because your name isn't getting dragged through the mud, mine is! They're calling me crazy because you fucked someone else. Isn't that amazing?" Clara pinned Steve to the booth her stare and he swallowed hard.

"Clara, you know I had no part of that." He told her and she rolled her eyes in response.

"I never said you did and that's not why I called you for this meeting." Clara put her tea aside, "We are completely and utterly broken up. Now I could care less what you do with the things I bought you or the illicit drawings and pictures you have of me. You can get anything of yours that's on my level whenever I'm present in the tower-"

"So that's it? We're just done?" Steve asks, his narrowing. Clara's eyes narrowed as well.

"That's it? Really Steve? I don't understand why you can't understand why we are done. You cheated on me and apparently your last visit with Sharon wasn't too long ago." Clara said quietly, her voice filled with anger as she motioned towards the hickeys on Steve's neck. "I don't care why you cheated on me. I don't care at all. I gave you everything and this is what I got in return. So yes we are done and you can get that fucking ring to Sharon if you want-"

"You slept with Bucky." Steve snapped back and it took all of Clara's restraint to not kill Steve Rogers.

"Yes I did. I never denied that I fucked him. Steven, but then again both your best friend and I were fucking brainwashed. But you're right, it's just like you fucking Sharon. Also all those Hydra guys fucked me too. Are you going to try to use that against me too?" Clara shot back and Steve clenched his jaw, "I hope Sharon enjoys all those tricks that I taught you."  Suddenly Steve's coffee turned to ice and grew until a sharp spike lightly pressed against his Adam's apple. "I have no idea why Peggy and Dad always talked about you. You're a fucking piece of shit that they should've left in the ocean."

And like, Clara was gone.