The Man on the Bridge

Ice was shoved into one of the chairs under one of the memory wiping machines. Next to her in the other chair was the Soldier. His metal arm was being worked on since the familiar red headed woman who had called Ice "Clara" had done something to his left arm. Ice looked forward, keeping her focus on the deposit box covered wall infront of her. Vague memories associated with the name bubbled up in her mind. Blurred faces popped up, who they belong to she had no idea. Two faces did stand out, though. It was the man and the woman from the bridge.

"Who are you?" It was the man from the bridge asking her. He stood infront of her, sweaty from a workout. The white shirt he was wearing was tight on him.

"Agent Clara Stark, from SHIELD. Fury sent me." Ice responded. The image disappeared and a man with a goatee appeared, the building around Clara and the man falling apart.

"Pepper get Maya. I'll help Tony." She heard herself scream. Ice-No. This wasn't Ice. This was Clara flying towards the man, but before she could reach him, something hit her and she fell. Her eyes on the man with brown eyes as fell. The memory changed once more and she was infront of the man of the bridge. He held her close.

"I'll be back before you know it, Steve." Ice/Clara murmured in his ear as she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"I love you, Clara." He murmured back as he looked at her, smiling. Within an instant, he too was gone and the woman from the bridge replaced him.

"I see SHIELD doesn't trust Tony or I." Her voice said as the red head walked towards her, dressed in an all black catsuit. "It's nice seeing you, Natasha." Natasha disappeared and Alexander Pierce appeared in her place.

"Begin." He said, looking at another man in the room.

"Zhelaniye (longing), rzhavyy (rusted), semnadtsat' (seventeen), rassvet (daybreak),..."

Ice was brought back to reality when she heard the noise of a body hitting the metal wall. She looked to the Soldier as the guards in the room trained their guns on him. The Soldier was panting and was aggravated. She knew nothing good could come from this. Before she could do anything, the restraints locked over her arms and legs.

"Sir, he-he's unstable," Ice heard one of the doctors or scientists say as her boss walked into the vault were they were being worked on in. The doors were opened to reveal Alexander Pierce on all his glory. He made a signal was he walked towards Ice and the Soldier and all the guns were lowered. The vault door shut.

"Mission report." Pierce commanded, looking at both of them. The both looked at the walls infront of them, neither of them speaking. "Mission report now." Pierce walked infront of Ice and leaned down, slapping her hard across the face. It pulled both her and the Soldier out of their trance. Ice looked at the Soldier as he broke their silence.

"...The man on the bridge...who was he?" Bucky asked. Ice looked at Pierce and then back to the Soldier.

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment." Pierce lied. Ice kept her eyes on the Soldier as she spoke.

"Steve...his name is Steve." That name hadn't left her lips in over a year. Pierce and the doctors looked at her. She wasn't supposed to remember.

"I...knew him." The Soldier says softly, looking up at Pierce. Everyone's eyes flickered from the shirtless Winter Soldier to Ice who was dressed in a sports bra and her pants from earlier.

"Your work has been a gift to mankind, as has yours, Ice. You shaped the century. And I need you to do one more time. The side is on a tipping point inbetween order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we are going to give it a push. But if you don't do your part I can't do mine. And Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves." Pierce says, his focus mainly on the Asset.

"...But I knew him." He says and looks at Ice. She nods, looking at her boss with her unnatural blue eyes.

"Ice, as soon as you do your part tomorrow, you will be terminated by the Soldier." Pierce told her bluntly, not looking at her. The Soldier was drawn away from his focus on the man from the bridge when he heard what was going to happen to his partner tomorrow. He looked at Ice, but her eyes wouldn't meet his.

"Prep them." Pierce commands, getting up from the chairs

"He's been out of cyro for too long." One of the scientists told Pierce.

"Then wipe them both and start over. " And with that, the two assassins were pushed back into their chairs. They both opened their mouths for the scientists to put the mouth guard in. The locks closed tighter around Ice's arms as they shut around the Soldier's. Both of them were breathing heavily as the machine whirred to life and moved to close over their heads. As the electricity pulsed through their heads, they screamed.

-

After they discussed what they needed to do, Steve took a seat down across from Fury, looking at the injured man. Nat was still sitting im her seat, looking at the two of them. Steve's blue eyes were looking down at the table as an uncomfortable silence surrounded them. Hill and Sam had left them a while ago to make more plans. Eventually Steve broke the silence.

"You didn't know about Bucky, but what about Clara?" Steve asked, his eyes looking at Fury. The ex-director of SHIELD looked at the Captain.

"Do you even have to ask me that? If I knew Pierce had Clara, I would've brought her back myself. I thought she was dead, just like everyone else." Fury responded. Natasha leaned forward, her eyes on Steve.

"Steve, none of us knew about Clara." She told him. Steve looked at the both of them.

"If....if there is a possibility tomorrow, we have to save her." The Captain says. Natasha sighs.

"The girl that we fought, she isn't Clara. We don't know what Hydra did to her....Clara was my best friend and I know her and that isn't her." The redhead responds, "But saving her is part of the plan."

"You two are putting this entire mission on stake by saving her. You better get Clara or I am kicking both of your asses, understand?" Fury looked at the both of them as he spoke, "And I won't be the only one kicking your asses."