The Big Battle

Fury called us into the main room we are always in. I was still shaken up about Phil's death and I thought about him as I sat down away from Steve and Tony. I wasn't moving other than from my breathing.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he did never get you to sign them."Fury says throwing Coulson's Captain America trading cards onto the table. Some of them had blood on them.

"We're dead in the air, up here. Communications are down, we lost location of the Tesseract, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming. Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, because I was playing something even riskier. The was an idea, the Starks know this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes."Fury says and Tony stands up and leaves, and I follow him.

"Well its an old fashion notion."I hear Fury say, tears are running down my face.

"Why didn't you tell me?"Tony asks as we walk into where Loki's cell was.

"I-I couldn't. I thought I had enough time, but I don't."I  say and he pulls me into a hug. 

"You aren't leaving me, understand?"He says kissing my forehead.

"I understand."I murmur as he releases me. I smile softly as he wipes away my fallen tears. I look over to the bloody spot on the wall where Coulson died.

"We are going beat Loki's ass, right?"I ask.

"Yeah, we are."He says as Steve walks in. We both stop talking and I look away.

"Was he married?"Steve asks.

"No."Tony says.

"There was a cellist, I think. I saw a picture, she was beautiful."I tell them.

"I'm sorry. He seemed like a good man."Cap says and look way.

"He was an idiot."Tony says. I glare at him and grip the metal railing.

"Why? For believing?"Steve asks. I look down to the railing to see it covered  in frost.

"For taking on Loki alone."Tony says walking from me and the railing.

"He was doing his job."Steve says narrowing his eyes at Tony, who scoffs.

"He was out of his league, he should have waited. He should have..'''Tony says. I glare at my brother. He knew what Coulson meant to me.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony."Rogers says.

"Yeah, heard that before."I mutter and I walk towards them.

"Is the first time you lost a soldier?"Steve asks and I snap, so does Tony.

"We are not soldiers."We both say.

"We are not marching to Fury's fife."Tony says calmly.

"Neither am I. He's got the same blood on his hands that Loki does. But we need to put that behind us and get this done. Loki needs a power source, we need to make a list of-"I cut him off and look at the blood stain on the wall.

"He made it personal."I tell them.

"That's not the point."Steve says.

That is the point, That's Loki's point. He hits us all right where we live. Why?"I ask.

"To tear us apart."Steve says and I nod.

"Yeah, divide and conquer is great, but he knows he has to take us out to win, right? That's what he wants. He wants to beat us, he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience."I say.