Chapter Two

The summer air was blaring hot, even at this time of the night. It was slightly windy, my favorite weather, the roads filled with heat waves and soda cups.

Eleanor and I stepped out of her car, closing the door behind us. The party's music was booming through the speakers. The whole yard was trashed with toilet paper and red plastic cups. A few people were entering the doors of the Harries' manor, a few leaving in somebody's arms or with messy hair and crumpled clothes.

I barely got any sleep last night, having some sort of nightmare about being in someone else's perspective, not that I remember anything else. But I'm sure a party will be fun, I promised my friend I wouldn't leave her alone, anyway.

From the reeking sickly air of this one night, I smelled the alcohol, the aroma of perfume and cologne as people sauntered past me.

"So much for 'no alcohol'," I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest uncomfortably as a few people stared at us, and not even in the seductive kind of way. A girl laughed and bumped into Eleanor's shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

Eleanor and I wore a dress that ended just above our knees.

"Shut up," Eleanor said nonchalantly. "Who cares if people are drunk? It makes this situation funnier." The two of us walked towards the staircase, and soon found ourselves in the large house. The place was huge; beautiful sketches and paintings of art plastered on the walls which were bare white. A staircase was in the corner, spiraling towards the top where I caught several doors which most likely led to bedrooms and bathrooms because they were on the second story. A few shelves and draws filled the large corridor we were currently in, a few decorative quartz vases placed firmly on the creamy white colored furniture. I was surprised the house was actually clean, with the exception of a few cups on the floor and covering tables.

My eyes scanned the place as Eleanor led me towards the living room. A large desk was at the back, a makeshift dance floor below everybody's heels and shoes as people squirmed in attempt to dance awkwardly. I searched for somebody I knew, like Finn or Jack, but I couldn't seem to find them. There were definitely more than a hundred people here, unlike what Eleanor said. People must have overheard the party and increased the guests by arriving uninvited. It mattered to me. I wasn't exactly claustrophobic but I didn't like tight spaces. I saw a fan and air conditioner working, but it did little to dispose the chemicals lingering in the thick air.

I chocked on the air of somebody's smoke, and watched as a man kissed the tip of a cigarette. It was a boy, watching over the audience as if he were looking for someone. The dark look in his eyes as he skimmed over the crowd didn't look threatening, but a little intimidating. I shuffled towards to Eleanor only to realize.

I cursed under my breath, craning my neck to find the brunette haired girl. Maybe if I just stood there, she'll come back. It took two minutes of waiting before I felt nauseous over the smell of smoke and sweat, and decided to go outside for a second.

"You okay?"

I spun around to find the boy from earlier crushing his cigarette butt into a plastic cup.

"Are you lost?" The boy's voice was gruff but kind, and if he hadn't looked do frightening I would've thought he was attractive.

I stared blankly at him. "Just...waiting for my friend," I mumbled, fiddling with my fingers.

"Are you sure she's even here?" he smirked mockingly. He crossed his arms over his.

I bit my tongue. "We came here together, I just lost her," I said coldly. I  know it wasn't nice to judge so quickly, but he didn't look like good news. "Are you from Lloyd?" I asked.

The boy's leg bounced in impatience. "Nope," he answered immediately.

"Why are you here?" I asked coolly, hiding my annoyance.

"Well, people do big to find their mate." He smiled at me. I turned away. I felt his stare on my face. "What's your name, sweetie?" he asked slowly, biting his lip.

"I'm Evelyn," I said and pulled out my phone to try and call Eleanor. I'm pretty sure she had a vibration to it so she will hear my call. My gaze flickered to the boy for a second. He was staring at me with the smallest hint of smiles.

"I'm Zayn," he said

"Hi."

"Hi."

I sighed. "I'm going to go look for my friend," I said. "Nice talking with you. Bye." I smiled at him and walked towards the doorway of the living room.

"Evelyn," Zayn called out to me. I turned towards him. "Can I have your number?" I pursed my lips and awkwardly stared at him.

"Ugh, yeah, sure." I shook my head and opened the lock screen of my phone before handing it towards him. Zayn grinned before typing his number, then handed me his phone along with mine.

When I unlocked his phone, a picture of a blonde girl was his wallpaper. Her back was towards the camera but she was looking to the left, grinning. I saw a hint of a tattoo on her neck-- might have been a chain?-- before I went to his contacts.

"Done," I said and handed over his phone.

"Thank you," he said smoothly, "Evelyn Bale."

I never told him my surname.

-:-:-:-