Chapter Fifty Six

"You sure you're okay?" Finn asked when I got back, and I nodded. I took a seat beside him around our table. Mykela and Luke were standing ten yards away talking to a couple of friends, and I don't know where Holly is.

"Where's my sister?" I called over the music.

"She went outside with some guy," Finn shrugged and pursed his lips. "She said she'll be back to me."

"What was the guy like?" My heart pounded.

Finn gave a weird look, then smiled, "You're worried about your sister?"

"Finn, I'm serious," I yelled over the music. It was louder now that everyone was here so they turned the volume up until the floor was vibrating.

"Um, a blonde dude," he said. I sighed in relief and closed my eyes for a moment, leaning back against my chair. "Are you sure you're feeling better?"

"Grand." I nodded and shot him a smile to show that I really was okay. Just scared a little, but it's not like Ed will try anything in front of these people.

Finn cleared his throat and uncertainly looked up at me. "Then, do you maybe want to dance with me?"

I felt heat tickling my neck and smiled shyly. "I'm a terrible dancer," I admitted. "But, sure."

He was smiling again, and helped me stand. Finn locked his arm with mine and led me to the dance floor where people were panting and leaving to their seats while others were just making their way over as a slow song was just ending.

I felt myself blushing furiously and mentally cursed at myself. Half of the students weren't dancing but watching others dance, quiet murmurs between them. Plus, Finn was well-known, which made this situation worse. I tried to block them out as Finn put his hands on my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I also felt worried that I'll trip in my heels in front of everyone.

"I know this song," Finn stated when a slow song boomed through the speakers. I smiled up at him as we began to move side to side. My heart was going berserk being in this position, but I remained calm on the outside.

The music quieted everyone down. Her balaclava is starting to chafe. I closed my eyes and rested my head on his shoulder. And when she gets his gun he's begging. "Babe, stay, stay...."  I opened my eyes.

The music continued, I tried to no listen to the lyrics, but the music was so loud I couldn't block it out. Now if you'll never shoot, you'll never know. And if you never eat, you'll never grow. I sighed. Today just had to be the fucking day.

I saw Luke dancing with Mykela at the other end, Holly still not around. I silently prayed that she was okay.

I caught sight of Ed sitting at the table to my left, staring at me, emotionless. I held my gaze but tightened my arm around Finn slightly. Ed smirked and raised a glass in my direction. I turned my head away and felt Finn shift.

"Are you okay?" he asked loud enough for only me to hear over to music. I gave him a tight smile and nodded, looking at my shoes. I licked my lips and flickered my gaze to Ed for a moment, but he wasn't there. My breathing grew ragged.

Finn tilted my chin with his thumb. We stopped dancing. "Evelyn."

I looked up at him. "I'm just...paranoid." It wasn't the right thing to say to him right now because, one, he'll either ask why or, two, he'll feel bad because it was his  party where the incident occurred--and he'll probably think I'm scarred or something (which I kinda kinda am)--, I tried to smile to reassure him but I'm pretty sure I look like someone who was about to cry.