Chapter Forty Two

Shoutout to the amazing writer, Titch_xoxo :)

-:-:-:-

Later that night, when Jackson and my parents returned home--and Holly did not --I heard a rattle.

Usually I would've flinched and looked around the place to see who made a noise, still continuing with paranoia and all. But, as far as I knew, mum and dad were both fast asleep because of the long, long day, and Jackson was in his room--sleeping or no, the sound was close by.

Nothing like the sound the door made while it yanked open. It didn't sound like the clinging of keys when my mother and I reached the locked door.

I froze in place on my couch. The noise startled me, and caused me to leap off the couch and turn the television's volume up. Mum and dad wakes up? That will be better. So far, even I was pushing it too far, it seemed as if someone was either breaking in; probably an idiot who will jump through the windows chaotically and shoot me and, I don't know, take my dad's newspapers, or; someone was sneaking in. It could be a burglar.

But that's not who was on my mind.

"Where does your 'friend' live, huh?" My mother yelled into her phone reminding me that Harry lived only across my house.

But how? He had a car...he was coming from somewhere else, he had to. He couldn't drive from across the road to just pick Holly up and take her some place else.

And then, the biggest question of it all hit me.

"That is far away, Holly! It's about half an hour walk from that place to this house." My mum huffed angrily, pacing back and forth in the kitchen, removing one of her pale hands to lower the temperature of the oven. "I don't care if she drives you or not, you didn't ask permission from me." My mum looked at me for a second. Of course its my fault. I couldn't carry her into the house when Harry was just there, probably going to stop me from even talking her out of her stupid idea to get away from her sister.

After a minute, I tiptoed into the kitchen and grabbed a knife from the cabinet, not like I can hurt a soul (except for Harry's, at the moment). I can, however, use it to threaten a burglar, if it wasn't my damn sister. I hoped it was her so I could scare her with this.

I walked beside the staircase. I climbed it slowly, skipping a stair which I knew creaked loudly, and cracked my brother's door open as quietly as possible.

He was sleeping, for once. What a surprise. My brother is the type to play his video games until 3 A.M., shouting insults at his friends.

Should I wake him? I knew he wasn't in a well mood and it would probably take him a while to get back to sleep, but what if  it isn't Holly?

Was Harry alone? Even I knew he probably wouldn't be. It was stupid to be known as a common murderer to be out and away without his gang to protect him. Or maybe he lived somewhere else and lied to frighten me? Either reason, Holly and Harry were not down the road at the moment.

"Holly, we've had this talk before; no sleep-over's until I meet your friend." My mum sighed apologetically. She was always nice to our friends. Well, mine, since Holly barely had any, but, hey, I didn't, too. Mother's voice suddenly grew louder once more and very stern. "Holly Bale, don't you dare hang up on me!" Oh, so she wanted to sleep over  my mate's house and now she's blocking off contact with us? It's not like she had run away.

Has she?

I began worrying immediately. Holly isn't that girl. She is well behaved. We have taught and raised her well, and in all that lifetime the worst thing she did to me was this. Maybe Harry  does like her now, like he did me. Maybe he wants her, like he did me. Maybe he never wants to let her go, like he did me...