Chapter Thirty Four

That dreary feeling of the sun's rays hot against your skin wasn't occurring like Evelyn always did when she was home.

"Honey, I told you to wake up twenty minutes ago!" her mother would always scold her for sleeping late on a school night. "Silly girl." And the smell of burned toast or bacon slithering through her bedroom door--wasn't happening at all.

"Evelyn." a stern voice of her brother's spoke instead, quivering slightly with worry.

She groaned in her sleep. "Jackson, go annoy Holly for sleep's sake." And she twisted her now skinny body around the hotel's bed, tangling her limbs between the thin blanket.

"Evelyn, get up."

The lining of her eyes stung as if they've been open for far too long, the same dry feeling she gets when she watches television too much. This frustrated her slightly. She had just woken up! She needed to be in school in God knows how long, she didn't need those dark circles beginning to form below her eyes just before school began.

"Evelyn!" someone snarled, making her jerk up. Evelyn leaned her damp back into the metal headboard and sighed, rubbing the back of her head where it had connected with the bed.

"Jackson." she whined, angered, and shot him a glare. "Could've woken the whole damn family in the process."

"Family?" Jackson blurted out, then shook his head.

Evelyn blinked so the stinging sensation will slowly disappear. She took that time to look around the room. She had remembered the accident and why she was in the hospital, and let out a sigh.

Yet...Evelyn wasn't in the hospital.

"...so you better tell her or I will!" Her mother wailed faintly. The officer held a hand up to silence her.

Evelyn saw the same two officers from the other day. The man's gaze wasn't friendly. And he had a gun hanging on his hip, as if threatening her to stay back or something. The sound of voices coming out of walkie-talkies were faint yet clear in her ears.

Her brows knitted together. Evelyn turned curiously towards her brother whose head face the floor.

"We will." the policeman said in a hushed tone to Mrs. Bale, and scooted her out of the room. Evelyn could hear her mother sobbing into her hands, and wondered why they took her out but not her sibling. As if on cue, Jackson followed his mother out of the door.

The man and woman polices both took a step forward to get closer to her, revealing another figure behind them, causing Evelyn to gasp.

Her father, standing tall and grim. His eyes had a dark look in them, before he rolled his eyes and walked out of whatever room it was.

Evelyn gaped at him and watched until he left the room.

Evelyn's P.O.V.

"Miss Bale." the man nodded.

Where the hell am I? This isn't the hospital, these walls are plain bricks. The ground looked cold and dirty because it was concrete. The room was poorly lit and empty, except the massive boxes at the far corner.

"What is this place?" I quivered and sat up, rubbing my arms. It was cold. On the tiled walls were dozens of machine guns, held up by black poles, and inside glass cases connected to the walls. I could hear the sound of water hitting the ground and an old metallic smell that made my spine shiver. Yet there was the noise of voices coming out of devices, and, when I looked close enough, I saw at least ten body guards standing by a steel door. The floor and ceiling were concrete, possibly the reason for the chilling aura here.