Chapter Fifty Five

"Maybe he's in denial."

"Maybe he's psychotic."

-:-:-:-

// five weeks later //

"-I know  he doesn't speak to you as much, I know  you said yes to the dance, you told me a thousand fucking times, but are you. Going. To. Go?"

"Holly," I sighed. She paused, and when she realized I wasn't going to say anything more...

"It's not a hard question," she groaned and fell onto her back against my bed. "Just answer the damn question!"

I frowned at my reflection, my gaze flickering the eyeliner lying beside my hairbrush. I popped the lid off of it and raised it to my face.

"What makes you think I wouldn't go to the September Dance?" I slid the brush over my eyelids. "I already told Finn I'll go with him."

"Uh, he's been ignoring you for the past month," Holly said in a tone that someone will use when something is obvious. "And what the hell's with the makeup? We're going to the mall."

I shrugged and gave her a smile through the reflection of my mirror. "I haven't been anywhere but school for a while." I spun around on the stool until I was facing my sister. "And he was not  ignoring me."

"Evelyn." She scrunched her face. "He nods your way--the only thing he does--, he turns to his friends when you walk by, he literally walks away  from you--and all of a sudden asks you to a dance? Really not suspicious?"

"First you're telling me to give up the stupid act when I say I don't want to go," I told her sternly, "and now saying your boyfriend is probably not good enough." The color drained from my face. Thankfully, Holly didn't notice my mistake.

"I'm just..." She face-planted herself into my pillow.

I stopped when I realized why she was blurting all these incomprehensible questions. "You want to go with me or something?"

I saw her twitch. "Um, what? No."

"I get it. Your friend--Sam, was it?--was in France, right?" I asked her.

"Eve, no," she said, pushing herself up and crossing her legs.

That Sam girl wasn't the reason--it was him. She had no idea. "You want to go with girl friends?"

She said nothing.

I sighed and she looked up, her cheeks tinted in pink. "I...I would," I said, feeling as if someone punched my chest, "but I already-"

"Told Finn, yeah, I get it," she said bitterly, tuning away, her whole face reddening in embarrassment.

I stared at her for a moment as she began to trace patterns into my quilt. "You can come with us."

Her frown deepened.

"It's not like Finn and I are dating, you can come along." I said. "He wont mind."

"I don't think he'll like that."

"What do you mean?" I sighed again.

"Oh, nothin'. Probably that he'll pull his move tomorrow and I'll be there to witness my sister's first kiss."

"You have no idea," I said quietly, and she snorted.

She lowered her head and lifted her wrist, cursing. "You look good, now hurry up!" Holly jerked up and yanked me out of my seat. I cried out as the bag of makeup fell to the floor.