Chapter Twenty

Everyone wore shirts and shorts due to the boiling weather, but the boys wore jumpers and long tops to cover their tattoos. Marzia even wore a jacket, but small shorts, obviously indicating that she did not have tattoos on her legs.

"Stop !" I pleaded before the girl jerked to a stop, chuckling. "God, these heels annoy the crap out of me!" I gasped for air, heaving my chest rapidly to allow oxygen in me.

"Sorry." she smiled, but didn't seem to regret a thing. "Just tryna get away from the boys for a minute."

I grinned even as my breath didn't catch up yet. "You just seemed excited to go in The Haunted House, from how you stared at it, to me." I mocked, crossing my arms over my chest.

Wow, I was a cocky, confident person at the moment. I guess when Harry wasn't on my mind I felt more calm and brave because he can't do anyt-

Harry.

My face fell and my breathing sped up again as I frantically turned around. I didn't even think if I wanted to leave, but my legs automatically moved me in the direction the girl was dragging me in.

"Hey." she called out, holding me back. "What's wrong?"

 I shook my eyes when tears started to brim in my eyes.

My stupidity hid everything. Everything now fell into realization. I was in a carnival--a place where civilized people amused themselves and had fun. People who could help me escape this nightmare. People who have no idea there is a man--a killer--lurking around them. A wolf to the sheep.

I didn't even think about if I saw Harry as a nicer person that peoples' thoughts. I forgot the pain he had with Gemma. I forgot that he was human, too. Every positive and nice thought about Harry suddenly disappeared, and I felt scared all over again.

Who wouldn't? I wasn't used to seeing such nice people. Innocent people who could take me out of this hellhole. All I had to do was scream. Literally. And they would all ask what was wrong.

Or maybe I was overreacting. 

But one whose been living with another who couldn't care less if he killed you would remain fragile and scared, and see this chance as big as ever.

Okay, I was overreacting. Calm down, Evelyn.

But maybe I can slip away from Harry's hold?

I sighed deeply, closing my eyes to blink the tears away. I can't think of this now. Yeah, it's a great opportunity but I needed to forget Harry. For once, I'm still confused and oblivious to the results in what would happen if I tried to flee. Maybe Harry will kill all the bystanders, and I don't want that.

"Sorry." I sniffed, wiping at my eyes carefully. "I...I don't want to be here." I blurted.

Geez, so much for 'forgetting for now', Evelyn Bale.

"Aw, Sweetie." Marzia smiled pitifully, tilting her head to the side. She surprised me when she grabbed my hands and brought me close. "It's gonna be fine. We're at a carnival! Let's just live in the moment." she suggested.

Not wanting the conversation to proceed, I nodded stiffly and shot her a small smile. This is the weirdest mood swing I've had in my life. I guess I'd just remembered his dark eyes warning me to not try to...

We began to walk towards The Haunted House, a fake ghost thin material hanging loosely in the fake mansion. Small statues of weird men lined the floor, a real person with make-up and paint standing at the front with fake blood dripping down the side of his face--holding a real machete. The house was wooden, an opening at the front where small carts fell from the side with two people in them. The roller coasters led the small cars into a dark hallway that spiraled up, where the horror occurs.