Chapter Thirty Eight

"Oh, it's about time!"

I rolled my body to the side, feeling my skin a little damp and sticky. My hair clung to my forehead, so I reached up and raked my fingers through my hair to move it behind my head. Only then did everything come back to me, and my eyes cracked open, causing Holly to jump back.

She giggled. "You scared the crap out of me." She covered her mouth as I sat in bed, taking in my surroundings.

The sun was shining right on my face. I closed my eyes and covered them, rubbing my head at the same time. Man, I had a killer headache. And...the wind was blowing onto my exposed skin easily, as id I wasn't inside.

I wasn't  inside.

"I'm starving!" Jackson's voice cried, and the sound of paper crumbling sounded. And then a slap.

"Wash your hands! You're just back from school," my Auntie's voice screamed from down the stairs, and I heard her moving around wherever she was.

"What's going on?" I mumbled, sitting up unsteadily. My back hurt and my face burned, and when I looked down I realized I had fallen asleep on the hammock. Oh. Smart.

"We're eating, and I came to call you. What the hell are you doing here, anyway?" Holly giggled and crossed her arms over her chest. She was still adorned in her uniform. "We were worried sick!" Her voice twisted and she was frowning.

I was quiet for a minute. "What happened?"

"Nothing." She shrugged. "But we looked everywhere. The balcony was the last place we thought to search. Anyway," she smirked, "you've gotten a sunburn!" I laughed with her and gently pressed the tips of my two fingers onto my skin. It stung slightly. "Or, you're just blushing."

"Pretty sure it's a sunburn." I groaned and trudged into my bedroom. She walked into hers.

"Amelia said she bought us take-away.(or take-out, it's the same thing)" My sister called out.

"I'll be ready." I called back and fought the urge to lie on my bed for a few minutes. Or hours.

I took the dress off of me. The lace material and hammock strings left red patterns on my skin. I rubbed my arms and threw on shorts and a shirt. It was still warm outside so I didn't feel the need to wear something thick, and Amelia is close with us so there was no need to be in something fancy.

-

After eating good food for once, I was back in my room, thinking about that dream I had.

It was so realistic. I'm glad it wasn't real, but at the same time I was curious as hell. And I still had this key. What was it for? Why the hell would Harry give it to me?

Speaking of the key, I went back onto the balcony and found it on the floor. I picked it up, feeling it hot in my palm, and walked back inside into my bedroom.

I wanted to see if it really was for the house across the street. It was a stupid idea, listening to a dream. But Harry and I, no matter how much I hate him...at the moment, were mates. And this could be a theory or something. Well, not a theory. Since I've already had mine. But something like that could happen. We were born to be together. Apparently.

"Fine." Holly gave in, clenching her jaw. "Two minutes." She held up two fingers and pointed another at me. "But if something happens--"

"Nothing  will happen!" I begged. "I promise! I'll be quick."

"I don't know what you're up to, but it better be safe." Holly muttered and slipped past me. Her long hair cascaded over her back, and she ran her fingers through it and held her hair high, tying it.

We wore our shoes and snuck out of the house without running into my mum or Jackson or Amelia. Thankfully. Then I'll be grounded...well, I was basically now trapped here with the police watching the entrances of our house and scanning every person who comes in here since I've still got a bloody tracking device in me.

Harry was right. The cops here are lazy. What if the gang barges in and shoots everyone down? we asked, What if they find us and hurt somebody? we asked, What if you come too late and Evelyn's gone? we asked. You'll be fine, they said.

I jogged over the road and stood in front of the other house. It was the same size as mine, but it was darker in color.

"Evelyn?" Holly's voice rang from behind me. "What....what the hell are you doing?!"

"I'm just checking it out." I murmured.

I took a step onto the grass and felt a metallic shiver run down my spine. I bit my lip and walked up to the front of the door, hearing Holly sigh behind me.

"Is this why we're here?"

"Yep." I frowned at the large sign on the lawn, reading Sold. Was anyone home? "Does someone live here?"

"No," she walked up next to me. "Well, not that I  know of. Not yet." She gestured to the sign. I nodded.

The house was a little older than mine, or it seemed. And there was no sign that anybody lived here at the moment, but I still hoped for it.  I didn't want to wander inside and bump into someone. I also needed to be quick, as my mother panics when she does not see me after five minutes.

"What now?" Holly groaned behind me as I raised the key to the door. The keyhole was dusty and the door had a spider web in the corner. Other than that, the house seemed clean and not haunted or anything.

I slid the key into the hole--which fit perfectly, might I add--and unsteadily twisted the key. There was a sharp sound and the door swung open. Holly and I jumped back in surprise and I breathed in deeply, keeping my breath.

"What the hell," Holly murmured and marched up to me. She yanked the key out.

"Hey!"

"Where did you get this?" She shrieked. I didn't want her to ramble so I turned and walked inside of the house. She scoffed behind me.

"Evelyn, get back here!" She cried out but I clenched my hands and stood in the hallway of the house. It was similar to mine. The paint on the wall was dry and peeling, some curling against the wall. The staircase was firm and tidy, but there was no furniture in the whole bottom of the house. Dust surrounded the floor and rose into the air as I kicked my feet into what seemed to be a living room.

The key fit.

It actually fit. Does this mean he's coming?

-:-:-:-

I know its been kinda boring without Harry, but just be patient ;)

I'll update another chapter, later today.