Chapter Twenty Four

"M-morning officer Keller." I nodded stiffly, ignoring her glare and keeping my head up. I have to act normal. Don't be too suspicious. I may not be the best liar, I could hide my expressions, but the nervousness I'm feeling now was overwhelming and I find that I might stutter something I'll regret afterward.

"Miss Smale." she said gruffly. "May I talk to you, alone?"

Her question came out more of a statement. The nurse beside her suddenly jerked backwards as she realized she was supposed to leave. She thought I wasn't looking at her and I caught her curl her lip in disgust. So, who could blame her? She thought 'Henry' might be bad news and I was his mate. But it was still rude.

"I'm sure you have seen the illegally printed tattoos on Mister Henry."

Oh crap. Oh crap. Don't die, don't die.

"Tattoos?" I asked.

"Yes. There are more than enough on his-"

"Oh!" I gasped, feeling adrenaline for lying to the popo. "Ohhh, he got  the tattoos?"

The police officer didn't seem convinced, but she raised a brow.

I chuckled nervously. "Henry told me that he'd get temporary tattoos--I didn't think he was serious until I saw them myself." I waved a hand in front of my face, shooing the topic with a wave of my hand, smirking. "That's nothing.

The officer narrowed her dark eyes. "I am in no mood for lies, Miss Smale."

"Yeah, well, it's a good thing I'm not lying." I smiled, but felt a lump bulge in my throat and my heart slam into my rib cage. "Officer Keller, we are no more than two people living downtown. I promise, we're harmless." I held my hands up in surrender with a smile, just so she thinks I'm not too serious on this conversation, or she'd definitely see something.

Her thin lips tightened. "Do you have an ID?" she asked in a firm tone.

I bit the inside of my cheek as my insides shrank in fear, and looked down at myself. No point in trying to rummage through my pockets to find an ID because I was still in an uncomfortable dress with no shoes. "Oh, damn. I didn't bring it to the carnival." I half lied.

"Hm." she hummed, pressing her lips together as she crossed her grubby arms over her chest. "Well, I checked Henry's ID and it seemed fine."

No, not really. It was definitely fake.

"We are trying to solve this cover, so I advise you to be careful. You may leave within a few hours after I have Henry answer my men's questions," she said.

I almost collapsed in relief. We were out of here. With barely any trouble.

"Wait." I mused, my brows frowning. "So Henry is awake?"

She nodded.

"You may see him in a few hours. However, I recommend you remain here until your friend is stable enough to leave." she said, her features softening--with the exception of the cold eyes--just a touch.

"Which is...how long?" I frowned.

We can't stay here. People will think something is wrong with us. And after all the questions they ask Henry--ugh, Harry, I mean--they'd slowly start to find things suspicious. It's about time until they realize Harry's ID is fake or something. Or the tattoos. Or they realize that I'm that I'm that missing girl. Maybe my dead skin and messy hair and tired eyes cover it up well.

"Couple of hours." Another thing to be relieved about.

The officer gave a brief nod and asked several more questions before leaving the room. But she seemed unsure of something, I don't know why...?