Chapter Thirty Nine

It's been nine days since I have left Beacon Meadows. My brain was functioning well, I was eating like a normal person, my family was not awkwardly nice to me anymore--but I was still checking every dark corner there was--, and I was finally ready to go to school.

"Evelyn, for goodness sake, I told you to get up ten minutes ago!" My mum burst through my door like a madman, flailing her arms in the air. I made a weird noise into my pillow once she opened the curtain and the light streamed in.

"There's an hour until school begins!" She huffed and threw my uniform onto the end of my bed. I slipped out of the covers and threw my clothes on, brushed my teeth and washed my face, and eventually trudged into the kitchen where my brother and sister were finishing off their breakfast.

"What would you like?" My mum asked me, but I wasn't hungry and I didn't want to choke down dry toast in the morning.

"Alright, then. Get out of my house!" She joked--but I knew she was serious--, and waved us off.

Holly sat in the passenger's seat as my brother drove us to school. Everyone in Lloyd High were running into the school building before the bell reminded us, but some people thought, I wont be late and decided to chat with friend for a little longer. Stupid idea, since the hallway is crowded as fuck during bell times.

"Do you want to hang out with my friends and I during break?" Holly questioned, flipping her hair behind her back.

Oh, right, Eleanor wasn't here.

"I was thinking on studying in the library, since I missed out on a lot." I gestured to the room as we walked by it from the corridor. Jackson walked away, high-fiving some of his mates and waving me goodbye.

"You sure? Okay, then." Holly shrugged and stopped walking. "I have chemistry here. If you change your mind, we'll be at the gym." She turned and grasped the door handle. I frowned and grabbed her wrist, making her spin around.

"The gym?" I questioned quietly. "Why the gym? I thought you hated sports?"

"I do." She looked away.

The smile on my face was more smug then cocky. "Hmmm, a guy, eh?"

"Maybe," she rolled her eyes, "it's just a friend."

"Sure, sure." I nudged her arm and checked my watch since I lost my fucking phone. "Bell's going in two and my class is on the other side of the school, see ya." I hugged my sister and walked off.

I stopped at my locker from what I remember, and twisted the lock into my combination. That's when the whispering began.

"...and it was Jack  that found her!" A girl hissed behind me and I fought the urge to turn around. I blinked and shoved my bag inside, grabbing my books.

"Really?"

"I heard she was raped, too." My mouth fell agape and I slammed my locker closed. "People think Harry Styles took her."

My face paled. How the fuck do they know these things?!

I stalked off, my shoes making obnoxious loud noises, but the sound mixed with all of the loud chatter. And even with the chatter, I heard my name several times. Some people gave me smiles and apologetic looks but I kept my head down. Rude? Maybe.

I clenched my jaw to keep the tears in check and sat in the back table of the classroom. Obviously, no one came to sit near me, thankfully leaving me alone.

But you know what? Even those people who say go away  or I don't want to talk really just need their best friend there.

-