Chapter Fifty

Written on a scrunched up piece of paper in the chemistry bin:

the little bird

flew in

the wrong

direction

-:-:-:-

I followed Jackson up the stairs until he sealed himself in his own room, and I went to mine. I planned on collapsing on my bed as soon as I entered, but I found someone sitting there as soon as I pushed my door open.

"Mum." I collapsed onto my chair and threw my head back. "Not right now." My head was pounding just by walking up the stairs.

"But you didn't even know what I was going to say," she whined angrily and stood up, brushing off her long skirt.

"I. Don't. Care. I've had a long day, like, fuck."

"What has gotten into you, Evelyn?" My mum scolded and stalked over. She pushed the door back and it clicked into place. "You didn't tell me about a September Dance, by the way."

"Huh? Oh." I wont be able to go even if I wanted to, which I did to be honest. "I forgot."

"Sure you did. Wanted to sneak off to another party again?" Her voice wasn't exactly settled.

"You let me go that night," I shot back. She had  to bring this up? It has been long enough, forgetting about it will make me more comfortable.

"You told me it was a birthday party."

"What's that?" I pointed to something covered in black hanging at the back of my door. "Mum, did you-"

"Just, you know, in case you weren't planning on going," she said and pulled the coat hanger off of the hook and onto my bed. She unzipped the front of the cover.

"Why do you want me to go to another party after everything that has happened, and all that you've just  said?" She was acting like Harry with all of the mood changes.

"This isn't one of those parties; it's held by the school. Plus I don't want you to be stuck at home everyday, now that...Never mind." Now that my best friend wasn't around. "So isn't that where you go with a boy?"

I flushed. "Um, yes."

"Good, then you'll have a date, all the students and teachers, your brother and the boy across the street looking for you," she smiled. "Pluuuus...I bought you another phone!"

"Wait, what?" I stared at her disbelievingly.

"Yes, a new phone."

"No, no, the boy across the street ?"

"Yes. Didn't you realized someone moved in? Turns out he lives alone, with his brother, like the Harries. And that house is old. Why would such a boy want to live there?" My mum shrugged the comment off calmly but made a face.

Brother? Probably one of his friends.

"Did you meet the boy, mum?" I frowned.

"Well, of course. He wasn't at school today so I went over to say hello," she said.

I stared at the ground, deep in thought. "But...he was  at school."

My mum's face tightened. "What are you talking about? I saw him."

"So did I...?" What the hell? Harry wasn't at school? Of course he was. We spoke face to face. Did he ditch?

"Maybe we're taking about two different people," my mum said. "Like I said, he's got a brother."