Chapter Sixty Six

I pulled my hat down from the back slightly so it wouldn't cover my eyes and I got a better look at the view in front of me. Tourists walked through the streets in shorts, shirts, singlets--anything thin and open, some barefoot and drenched in water. From the natural waves of several girls' hairs, you can tell they were back from a beach, most likely the one right across our hotel. Three young boys passed, all holding surfboards bigger than them.

My leg bounced impatiently, my fingernails drumming against the metal table I sat at in front of Starbucks. The café was closed but I wasn't here for it, anyway.

I looked back and forth between the table and everyone else, trying not to be suspicious. It's not like I was covered in black and had a gun in my hand, but I was sitting alone at a single table of a shop I didn't even buy anything from.

My eyes caught Harry's light green ones. He was standing in the crowd that was watching a street performer balance on a ladder, blending in with their casual outfits. He carried a gun, somewhere.

He looked away for a moment, then back at me. I followed his previous stare and found his two friends sitting at a restaurant, quietly chatting. He gave a curt nod and looked away.

A minute later, I noticed the blonde-haired figure slowly approaching me, and smiled to myself.

She wore denim cut-offs, flip-flops and a tank top, her hair looking messy in a bun yet, at the same time, nice, with an accoutrement on her head and forehead. Another trailed behind, now brown hair with pink streaks standing out within all of the people surrounding her. I leaped up and ran the rest of the way towards the two girls, despite the fact that Harry told me not to move from my area.

Eleanor squealed and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. "Evelyn," she sighed. "Oh, my God, it's nice to see you alive."

"Shhh," Perrie muttered and slapped the back of her hand on Eleanor's arm. "Keep the ironic jokes to yourself."

"Wow, El," I breathed, "I see you after months in Australia."

"We planned one of those trips where we wanted to go somewhere when we were young, with it having two percent chance of happening," Eleanor explained to Perrie. "You know, that thing people do where they think they'll live with their friends in London or something. It's so nice here."

I gave Perrie a quick hug and nodded my head in agreement. "Yeah, we should visit the beach when we're not slitting throats," I said and winced at my own joke.

"And you can keep the ironic jokes quiet, too," Perrie chuckled. "But yeah, fucking oath, it's so hot I'm gonna cry. Is that Harry?"

I looked behind us and saw Harry staring right back at me, looking unhappy. "I'm supposed to be sitting by Starbucks," I told them. "That's my space."

"Ours is supposed to be on the other side of these towers," Perrie jerked her head, "but we thought we'd come and see you."

"I should get back," I said even though I wanted to stay. "Harry looks like he's going to murder me."

"Ironic joke, again."

"We could stay with you," Eleanor said, lowering her voice. "It's not like three girls sitting at Starbucks is giving away anything."

"But aren't you, like-"

"Zayn wont mind," Perrie said, shaking her head. She slipped past me and seated herself in the café. I sighed and made my way towards her, Eleanor following behind.

She tucked a strand of pink hair behind her ear. "The life we chose, huh?" she said suddenly.

"Uh." I rubbed my arm. "Yeah. Do you like it?"