Chapter Twenty Three

Harry pulled back with a groan and he looked down at the bandage on his waist. The center was already soaked in blood and by the looks on Harry's face, it hurt a lot. The alcohol was probably making it worse.

"I need...help." Harry grunted as he straightened in his seat. I nodded, still surprised that I actually saved someone's life.

Yeah, and you put the world in more danger, an inner voice spat, but I pushed those thoughts to the side.

"Can you d-drive?" Harry asked. His voice raspier than usual and there was an odd dullness in his eyes. Well, obviously. He almost died. But his skin was still chalky white.

"Yeah." I breathed and looked around the car. I wasn't too confident about driving an eight-seater. It might be harder--I've been driving small cars. And I didn't own a car for myself so I barely drove. But I swallowed down my nervousness because Harry wasn't out of this situation yet.

I opened the car door and exited the vehicle. Harry followed, and as soon as he left the car, he stumbled onto me. I caught him quickly and slung his weak arm over my shoulders, helping him onto the passenger's side so I could drive. All the while, I felt Harry's heart pounding onto me, and his bare torso was cold and pale. His breathing was also heavy and ragged.

Harry collapsed onto his seat and he threw his head back to lay down. I closed his door and jogged around the car, still feeling worry creep in my lungs that I'd probably drive like a maniac. I had to lean down and look for the keys in the dark because I threw them to the floor since I was in a rush.

Once my shaking fingers closed around something hard and cold, I snatched it up and thrust the key into the ignition. The car roared to life and I felt a shriek rise in my throat. I was just surprised.

I turned my head warily to look at Harry, who had his phone in his hand.

Harry's P.O.V.

"Evelyn?" A voice said on the other side of the phone, and I frowned, wondering why Louis would think I was Evelyn.

"Louis." I choked out, pressing my hand on the wound to stop it from bleeding. The alcohol stung the stab wound so I clenched my jaw from screaming. "It's me-"

"Oh my God!" Louis breathed on the other end. His voice was faint, as if he moved the phone away from his mouth to talk to someone else. "Boys! She did it!" I heard someone cheer in the background before Louis spoke up. "Mate, how are you holding up? You okay?"

"I'll live." I groaned, removing my hand for a minute. It fucking killed. The car jerked forward slowly, and I craned my neck to see Evelyn biting her lip as she slowly pressed the pedal. "W-where are you, now?"

"We're at Zayn's armory in case any cops decided to follow us." Louis said on the other end. "No one turned up but we're thinking of staying here. But those two girls won't sit still and they keep crying. Well, one of them is crying now."

"One?" I coughed, sitting up slightly--ignoring the pain in my lower front. "Who are they? I obviou-" I began to couch again, "-couldn't ask who t-they were before."

I could basically hear Louis' smile. "We found Liam's mate!" Louis cheered, and I heard Niall laugh from behind. "But the other didn't belong to any of us so we killed her."

Evelyn's breath hitched in her throat but I didn't feel anything. "Why'd you kill her?" I asked, keeping my gaze on the girl driving my car. I knew why he killed her, but Evelyn probably didn't, and considering the fact that she could hear Louis speaking over the phone, I wanted her to know. 

"What do you mean, why?" Louis snorted. "She wasn't one of us and she has seen too much. She knows what we look like." 

I nodded in agreement, but realized Louis couldn't see me: "I guess you're right."